Three

"S-Sans?" I stuttered. Did he teleport in here? That had to be the only way he got in and beat me.

Sans glanced back at me, a lazy smile on his face. I looked away.

"heh. ya actually spoke."

"Don't get used to that," I signed, annoyed. "What are you doing in here?"

"why won't cha look at me?" He countered. His eyes lost any warmth they had held.

I froze. Papyrus' death flashed through my mind once more.

"No reason." I played with my hands nervously.

"kiddo, i can see that under all yer make up is evidence of someone who ain't been sleepin' very well. and hasn't fer a long time. ya can fool them, but cha can't fool me. now," Sans's tone grew serious. "what's goin' on?"

I glared at him.

"Why do you care?"

"if looks could kill, i'd be a dead skeleton." There was no humor in his voice.

I continued to glare at him, not telling him anything. I will stand here all day if I must.

"kid, yer really startin' ta tick me off. tha only reason that i could think of that would lead ya to avoidin' me is that 's related ta papyrus–"

I laughed bitterly, cutting him off.

"Of course, you don't actually care about my wellbeing. It's always about your brother." I stared at the ground. Hot tears beginning to prick my eyes.

"naturally, i'm concerned about my brother. especially if yer involved. are ya really expecting me ta trust ya after whatcha did?!" Sans spat venomously, his left eye beginning to glow.

My hands trembled in anger. This guy!

"No," I growled. My hands were shaking too much for me to use them. "I knew you wouldn't trust me at first. Heck, I didn't even trust myself for a while." My voice was slightly raspy from its disuse. "But you would think that I would eventually regain your trust. Especially after three years!" Some of the syllables spilling from my lips sounded odd.

"ya ain't done-"

"Shut up!" I looked up at him as hot, angry tears were flowing down my face. I saw surprise in Sans's eyes, but they quickly hardened.

"I have shown nothing but love and kindness to Papyrus, to everyone, since this last run. Since I set all the monsters free! And I've been working very hard to make it so you all are given the right to live on the surface." My neck hair prickled. I hadn't spoken this much since I was a child. "You think I don't know what I did was wrong two resets ago?"

"frisk–"

I cut him off once more. I was on a roll.

"Are you aware of the sleepless nights I've had because of the nightmares that assault me every night? Watching everyone I love and care about die over and over again..." I was sobbing at this point. Sans said nothing, staring at his feet.

"Do you think I enjoyed killing them? The monsters that showed me nothing but kindness and love?" I wiped my eyes with my sleeve. "Ha... You don't even know why I did what I did, do you? Why I reset so many times after giving everyone their perfect, happy ending." I looked at Sans, waiting for him to look up at me in the eyes.

Silence ensued for a little while before he finally looked up.

"no, i dunno why. would ya care ta enlighten me?"

"Happy to," My voice was hard. I took a deep breathe, allowing myself to calm down some.

"I wanted to save everyone. And at the end of the first run, I thought I did. But then I remembered someone. So, I went back to the beginning. To where it all began. Back to one of the people I couldn't save. Asriel. At the time, I believed it was only him I didn't save. But then I soon realized there was someone else. Chara.

"I kept resetting. Trying different things in hopes of saving them as well as the rest of the monsters, but to no avail. It seemed impossible. Until after one reset, Chara told me how to give him and Chara their happy ending. And I thought, why not? Everyone else has already had their own plenty of times. Boy was I an idiot for believing her."

"ya got that right."

"Shut up," I glared at Sans once more. "I'm not done."

The skeleton's eyes hardened and his hands balled into fists, but he said nothing.

"I soon realized what I was doing was wrong. That there had to be another way to give Asriel and Chara their happy ending. Without killing everyone I love." I paused, bowing my head. "After all this time, I still haven't figured that part out yet..." I looked back up at Sans. "I need you to know. I am very truly sorry about what I did. I can't imagine the pain I caused you. I want you to be able to trust me again. I want to go back to being friends. The way things were before all of that happened..." Tears sprang up in my eyes again. I blinked them away furiously.

"You've heard my piece. Now. Get. Out."

Sans left without a word. Opting to leave through the door, rather than teleport.

I sighed and flopped into my chair, exhausted. That took a lot out of me. Wow. But... It felt kinda good to get that off my chest. I slung my arm across my eyes as tears streamed down my cheeks. I never want to have to do something like that again.