Ten

We were back in the field of echo flowers. Sans let go of my arm.

"frisk, take off yer shawl," he demanded.

There was no point in refusing him. Casting my gaze downward, I took off the shawl. Remarkably, the shawl itself didn't have any blood on it. But you could see blood soaked through the bandage. Sans' eyes widened then his face grew sad. He gingerly unwrapped the bandage and tossed it aside. With a snap of his fingers, a first aid kit appeared. Perks of having magic I suppose. I continued to not look at him as he tended to my wound. I flinched when he cleaned it with an alcohol swab.

"sorry," He muttered.

I shook my head. It wasn't his fault that I was hurt. He's just trying to help me right now. When Sans finished, he was silent for a few moments.

"kid, who did this ta ya?"

I didn't say anything. I still wasn't looking at him. He placed his hand under my chin, lifting my head up to face him. I could see the pain in his eyes. Sans was hurting because I was. I'm such an idiot! How could I let this happen? My eyes looked over his shoulder, gaze focusing on an echo flower. I couldn't move my hands to sign anything to Sans. I would have to speak aloud.

"It was Chara." My voice was barely audible.

Sans' POV:

My whole body went rigid, hand dropping from her face. Chara visits her dreams, too? The murderer was responsible for hurting Frisk?! is this what Chara had meant when I'd last saw her? I thought.

"how did this happen? when?!" I growled.

Frisk's small frame began to tremble. She was silent for a bit, then she inhaled and exhaled deeply.

"It happened two nights ago. I don't know how the wounds she's inflicted upon me in my nightmares transfer over to the real world." Her left hand caressed her bandaged arm, fingers running across the rough fabric.

"kid..."

I was at a loss for words. I didn't know what to say. Frisk was hurting. And there wasn't anything I could do to protect her from it. I was powerless. I clenched my teeth, then looked at her. She wasn't looking at me again. Her gaze seemed unfocused. I put my hand on her left shoulder. Her eyes snapped to mine, a whirlwind of emotions swirling in a sea of royal blue. My eyes softened.

"we'll discuss this more later, okay? we need ta get back ta tha others."

Frisk nodded and offered me a half smile. She put her shawl back on, making sure it covered her bandaged arm sufficiently. With that, we disappeared. A faded blue glow blurred around where we had just been.

--

We reappeared in our seats, greeted by the aroma of freshly made pasta. I glanced at Frisk to see she had pasted on a smile and acted as if nothing had happened. kiddo's a good actress, I thought. And it was all for our sakes. So, we wouldn't worry over her. It seems she never does anything for herself. Going to such great lengths to help us. She would die for us; Frisk's done it countless times before. she's also killed us. The dark thought bubbled to the surface of my mind. I shook my head. That doesn't matter. I- Something hit the back of my skull. Papyrus had hit me with a breadstick.

"what gives, paps?" I gave him an annoyed look.

"YOU HAVE NOT TAKEN PART IN THE CONVERSATION AT ALL. AND YOUR FOOD IS BARELY TOUCHED. IS SOMETHING THE MATTER, BROTHER?"

Everyone at the table was looking at us. I grinned, chuckling.

"sorry, paps. jus' lost 'n my thoughts."

"YOU WERE DAY DREAMING, ADMIT IT. THAT IS SO LIKE YOU."

"what can i say," I shrugged. "i'll be takin' that now," I said, plucking the weapon Papyrus had used to smack me with and took a bite out of it. He stared at me for a moment. Then it registered in his skull what had just occurred.

"I WAS GOING TO EAT THAT MYSELF, NUMBSKULL!"

I rolled my eye sockets.

"there's a whole basket full of em in tha middle of tha table."

"BUT I WANTED THAT ONE SPECIFICALLY," Papyrus exclaimed.

Frisk, Toriel and Asgore started laughing. The easygoing banter continued on for the rest of the meal. During it, my gaze kept drifting over to Frisk every now and then. Her smile did not reach her eyes. Does it bother her that much that I know about Chara? Or is it something else...