Nineteen

Sans's POV:

I watched my brother and Frisk conversate. They smiled happily and chattered as though they were old friends who hadn't seen the other in a long time. Frisk's eyes were aglow, the cyan scarf enhancing two pools of ocean blue. But amidst the warmth, a darkness like the abyss of the sea could be detected. something is bothering her, I thought. whatever it is, it's serious. I brushed the thought aside for now with the intention of asking her how she was later. Then I remembered what I had told Frisk earlier before Paps had burst into the room.

"hey, paps?"

Frisk and Papyrus stopped talking and turned their attention to me.

"YES, BROTHER?"

I leaned back, putting my arms behind me to support myself. Shutting one eye, I looked at Papyrus.

"it would sure be great if tha human, er, frisk could come home soon, huh?"

"OF COURSE, IT WOULD. BUT TORIEL SAID FRISK WOULD BE STAYING HERE UNTIL SHE GETS BETTER. YOU KNOW THAT SANS,"

I shrugged, grinning.

"what if she were healed? there wouldn't be a point ta her being at tha hospital then, would there?"

He gave me a puzzled look, then a lightbulb in Pap's head went off.

"OH, MY GOODNESS, SANS! THAT'S BRILLIANT! I DON'T KNOW WHY I HADN'T THOUGHT OF IT MYSELF! FOR ONCE YOU WEREN'T A LAZY BAG OF BONES."

"i try," I said with another shrug.

Frisk's POV:

Papyrus rolled his nonexistent eyes at Sans before turning to me.

"What are you guys talking about?" I signed, curious. I thought back to what Sans had said about Papyrus being able to help wondered if it had anything to do with that.

"I'M GOING TO HEAL YOU, FRISK!" Papyrus said excitedly.

"How?" I tilted my head slightly.

"WHY, WITH MAGIC OF COURSE."

"tha skeleton race is famous within monster kind fer having healing magic. tha only other species of monster with this kinda magic 're boss monsters," Sans explained.

A memory resurfaced from long ago. I looked over to him and signed, "Couldn't you or Toriel have healed me then, too?"

Sans' gaze darkened for a brief second before he regained his composure.

"nah, paps is way betta at it then i am. as fer tori? she was probably too overcome with grief at tha time ta have thought about that,"

I flinched on the inside at that and cast my gaze downward, playing with my fingers. Papyrus caught on to the tension and placed a bony hand on my shoulder.

"FRET NOT, FRISK. YOU ARE FINE NOW AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS. AND YOU WILL SOON BE EVEN BETTER!"

I looked up at Papyrus as he grabbed my hands. His eye sockets closed as he concentrated. Suddenly, they opened, glowing with an orange light. Strange, I thought. When Sans uses magic, only one eye glows... The room suddenly darkened, distracting my train of thought. I felt a pulling sensation at my chest. My soul materialized in front of me. At least what was left of it. The soul shard pulsated. The surface was cracked and it seemed to be bleeding. I cupped my hands around it, hugging it close.

"FRISK..." Paps looked into my eyes, expression saddened. "I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH, BUT I WILL DO MY BEST TO FIX IT." He had a determined look in his face. I smiled softly.

"Thank you," I whispered as I released my soul.

A warmth enveloped my being as orange magic wrapped around the soul shard. The light emanating from Papyrus' magic was so bright, I had to shield my eyes. It felt like there was wind in the room, whipping my hair around along with the bed sheets. The bed itself seemed to be shaking from the might of his magic. I felt myself begin to levitate and squeaked in surprise. His magic was now wrapped around me, my soul and himself. It pulsed to the rhythm of my soul. Energy was coursing through me, weariness fading away. Suddenly the magic went straight into my soul, no longer enveloping Papyrus and me. The bleeding stopped and the cracks glowed, but they wouldn't seal. I watched Papyrus' brow furrow in concentration as more magic was poured into the soul shard. The pressure I felt on my soul increased.

"Don't exert yourself, Papyrus," I said softly. "Some things cannot be fixed, even by the strongest of magic."

"FORGIVE ME, HUMAN,"

Papyrus' magic gently lowered me back on the bed. The cracks on my soul still glowed however, even though his magic had left it. It seemed while the magic wouldn't make the cracks disappear, it acted as a bandage. My soul went back into my body and light returned. Paps looked defeated and exhausted. I laid my hand on his shoulder.

"It's okay, Papyrus," I whispered. "You did your best, you helped. I feel much better now. Thank you."

His face lit up and he smiled.

"YOU ARE VERY WELCOME, FRISK!" Papyrus pulled me into a hug which I gladly accepted.

"i dun mean ta intrude on yer hugging party or anything, but if anything needs fixing now, it's tha room."

The mood broken, I pulled out of Papyrus' embraced and examined my surroundings. My hospital room was a mess. The sheets were rumpled, pillows on the ground and a piece of pie was stuck to the wall. Pie?

"Nooooooo," I wailed. My precious pie, all over the wall. The skeleton brothers followed my gaze.

Sans put his hand over his mouth, eyes widening. I could tell he was holding back. Papyrus on the other hand looked as crestfallen as I felt.

"I AM SO SORRY, FRISK. YOUR POOR PIE! FEAR NOT, I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS WILL GET YOU A NEW SLICE OF PIE. NYEH HEH HEH!"

Before I could say anything, Paps was out the door. Sans burst out laughing, unable to contain his amusement any longer.

"That's not funny!" I signed, annoyed.

"i dunno, kid. i found it very humerus."

I glared at Sans and signed for him to help me clean up. I stood up with ease, no longer having to worry about my legs giving out. Sans went to cleaning the pie off the wall while I straightened up my bed. As I placed the last pillow in its proper spot, I noticed a card on the ground. I froze. Quickly, I picked it up and tried to shove it back under the pillow before Sans could notice. Luck was not on my side.

"whatcha got there, sweetheart?"

I turned to Sans, pulling a poker face.

"Just a get-well card," I signed.

Sans gave me a knowing look. I wasn't fooling him.

"why're ya hiding it yer your pillow then? doesn't it make more sense ta put it next ta tha azaleas?"

I glanced at the vase of flowers. So that's what those are called, I mused.

"It's precious to me," I signed hurriedly, wanting Sans to drop the subject. "Didn't you ever put things that were precious to you under your pillow as a kid?"

Sans gave me a hard stare. I felt guilt crawling down my spine. He simply shrugged and winked.

"can't say i have. humans have weird childhood traditions."

I mentally let out a sigh of relief that Sans stopped bothering me about the card. Things would not bode well if he knew of its contents.