Thirteen

I bid Alphys farewell and left. When I got home, I headed straight up to my room, giving the excuse of not being hungry. Toriel gave me an odd look, but let it slide. I truly wasn't hungry. What I learned today saw to that. I was too apprehensive about everything to be able to eat.

After undressing down to my underwear, I flopped on my bed, face first into my pillow. With a sigh, I twisted onto my back and stared at the ceiling. I stretched while yawning before settling down, nestling my head into the pillow. A heavy, lethargic feeling overtook my body and I could feel my heartbeat.

"Asriel... Chara... Soul..." I mumbled.

I tried to fight my drowsiness, but lost the battle. I needed sleep. I hadn't been getting good rest and now that the threat of Chara attacking me was gone, I might have a peaceful night for once. Unless my nightmares came to terrorize me.

"I won't let that happen tonight."

I blinked slowly, surprised. Then I smiled.

I knew there was a good person inside of the hurting one.

"Don't make me take back my words. Go to sleep. You need to rest up so we can find Asriel tomorrow."

Right, was the last thing I thought before drifting off to the dimension of nothingness.

--

"...irth day to you!"

"C-c'mon, Frisk. Make a-a wish!"

"Tell us wha-at y-your wish is, we w-won't laugh."

"Oh, fine. I s-suppose you're no-ot supposed to tell, a-anyways."

"This way, Fri-isk!"

"I co-ome here to hide a-away from the world. It's peacef-ful."

"Look at a-all the flowers! The-y're so pr-retty. Like you."

"-wish toda-ay would n-never end."

"I w I s h t O D a y W o u L d n e V E r e n D..."

I felt light dance across my eyes. I scrunched my face, slowly sitting up. My mind was hazy. The dreams I had last night... They were already fading. But I could tell they were from happier times. Long before I had fallen into the Underground. Before what hap- No, I thought to myself sternly. That's in the past now. No need to think about it. I smiled. For once, I felt rested. Thank you, Chara, I thought.

"Yeah, well... It's the least I could do. Considering everything. But don't get used to it, partner."

If Chara had been right in front of me, I swear she would've been sticking their tongue out and winking at me as she said that.

A thought hit me. What time is it? I glanced at the clock. It read eight o three am. Knock, knock! I froze. A voice belonging to a certain skeleton came through the door.

"ya alive, kiddo? 'cos it sure seems yer sleepin' like tha dead."

It's Friday.

Shiitake mushrooms!

I glanced at the sweater lying on the floor where I had left if from the night previous.

"tori sent me up here with some breakfast. i'm comin' in,"

Right as he said those words, I snatched the sweater and pulled it over my body. By the tome the door was open all the way, I had shoved my legs up into the sweater as to hide the fact I wasn't wearing pants.

"got some bacon and eggs fer-"

Sans stopped mid-sentence as he took in the sight before him. I was huddled into a ball of sweater, arms hugging my knees to my chest.

"H-hey, Sans," I squeaked out. He gave me a puzzled look.

"uh, bud, ya need a lil help there?"

I shook my head vigorously. This is just fruitastic, I thought.

"Just leave the food on the desk, okay?" My voice strained.

"are ya okay?"

Concern was etched onto the skeleton's face. He took a couple of paces forward, turning to place the plate on my desk before continuing towards me. I nodded my head, desperate for him not to come any closer.

"Sans, seriously, I'm good. You can go now. Thank you for bringing the food."

A hurt expression flitted across his face for a brief second before his gaze hardened. Crumbs. Okay, better get this over with.

"I'mnotwearinganypantssowouldyoupleaseleave?"

My words came out rushed and jumbled together. My face was crimson. I saw realization hit the skeleton before a bright cyan blush settled into his cheek bones.

"ooooh, god. i'm s-so sorry. i'll g-go." Sans stuttered as he quickly backed out of my room, shutting the door behind him with a slam. I could hear Chara's laughter ringing in my head. That was NOT funny! I thought angrily.

Sans's POV:

I headed down the stairs, face aflame. I went back into the dining room, taking my place at the dining table. Toriel and Papyrus looked up at me, pausing their conversation.

"SANS, WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG? IS THE HUMAN COMING DOWN?"

The image of Frisk all huddled up in her sweater flashed through my mind again. I could feel my cheek bones burning.

"BROTHER, ARE YOU ALRIGHT?" Papyrus had a concerned expression on his facial bones.

"i-i'm fine," I mumbled. "human'll be down when she's dressed..." I trailed off as I realized what I just said.

"Sans!" Toriel screeched, suddenly standing up. Papyrus looked at Toriel weirdly.

"WHAT IS WRONG, LADY TORIEL? SANS MERELY SAID THE HUMAN, ER, FRISK, WILL BE DOWN ONCE SHE HAS DRESSED HER HERSELF-" Papyrus stopped. What I had said dawned on him.

"OH, MY GOODNESS, SANS!"

"w-wait a second pap, tori. i didn't see nuthun, i swear! and it was an accident. tori, please dun kill me."

Right at this moment, Frisk was standing in the doorway, her face alight. She tilted her head forward as to let her bangs hide her face.

"Guys," she signed with one hand as the other contained the place of food I'd brought up just earlier. "Calm down. Nothing happened."

I saw the flame in Toriel's eyes extinguish. She looked at me guiltily.

"I apologize, Sans. I should've known you would never do something like that."

"s'okay, tori," I mumbled. I stood up and motioned to Paps. "i believe it's 'bout time we make like wind 'n blow outta here." My brother gave me an exasperated look before agreeing with me.

"MY BROTHER IS CORRECT, WE MUST GO ATTEND TO SOME BUSINESS."

"Oh, all right. Until next time, boys."

I glanced at Frisk. She was still standing in the doorway.

"later, kiddo,"

She waved at me, her expression unreadable.

you really screwed up this time, bonehead, I thought.