Eighteen

Nosy nurse, super suspicious doctor and now this?! I thought, panicked. I would have to be more careful from this moment on. I hid the card under my pillow. No one needed to know about this. They would freak out and worry about me even more. I sighed deeply and leaned back into the pillows. I stared at the wall in front of me again, the blue flower picture soothing my anxiety. With the adrenaline rush gone, the fatigue I had been feeling earlier hit me with full force. It was barely morning and I was already worn out. Nothing a nap can't fix, I mused. Argh, I'm tired of sleeping. But I need it... My annoyance slipped away as my eyes drooped close once more.

--

The scent of butterscotch aroused me from my slumber. When I opened my eyes, I felt my lashes brush against paper. Confused, I blew at it with a puff of air. The piece of paper floated up before gently falling back down. I pulled the piece of paper off of my face and sat up to examine it better. Toriel had taped a note to my face. That's one way to make sure I see it, I mused, giggling. It read:

Dear Beloved One,

You were not awoken when I arrived so I decided to leave a note for you. I brought you a change of clothes and a piece of the pie you love so much. Enjoy, my child. I hope you are doing well. I'll visit again tomorrow. Papyrus and Sans will visit later today so you won't be bonely. ;D

Love,

Toriel

Smiling, I looked to the left and saw the clothes. Toriel had brought me underwear, a bra, and a pastel pink dress. I rolled my eyes and clicked my tongue. She was always trying to get me to wear that colour even though she knows I don't particularly like it. After pushing the covers back, I slipped the hospital gown off and put the clothes on. I pulled the blanket back over my legs then turned towards the right and saw the plate with the butterscotch pie. It looked and smelled heavenly! Then I noticed the flowers. I felt my stomach twist as I remembered what the note said, but pushed the feeling aside. I grabbed the plate and set it on my lap only to realize I didn't have a fork. Well, it's not like anyone is going to see me eat this. And if I call a nurse, they'll probably take it away so that's a no go. Hands it is. I picked the slice up and blew on the top for a bit before carefully taking a bite. All my worries melted away as the flavor of butterscotch rang across my tongue. Hints of cinnamon could be tasted as I chewed. I'd been so enraptured by the pie, I failed to notice someone had entered the room.

"ya really like that pie, don'tcha, kiddo?"

I froze in horror as I recognized the voice. My face flushed crimson as I set the piece of pie down and swallowed the bite. With sticky fingers, I signed that he should've knocked. Sans laughed, his ever-present smile growing wider.

"i did. but ya were too preoccupied," Sans said with a wink.

"Where's Papyrus?" I would have crossed my arms in a huff, but my hands were still covered in pie bits and I didn't want to spread the mess.

"he's comin'. but he had an errand ta run. papierus has a surpies fer ya."

I scrunched my face up and pouted.

"Stop with the puns," I signed exasperated. "I didn't have any silverware and this is the only thing I've eaten all day."

Sans raised a nonexistent eyebrow at me.

"dun they feed ya, kid?"

I rolled my eyes.

"You mean the inedible mush they gave me this morning? Wasn't happening."