Seventeen

After being assailed with many hugs and several "don't ever do this again", a nurse came in and shooed everyone out, declaring visiting hours over. Toriel took my hand before leaving.

"Be good, my child."

Toriel planted a kiss atop my head, promising to bring a slice of her famous butterscotch pie upon her return. I pasted a smile on my face, letting out a deep sigh once she had left. The nurse gave me a knowing smile.

"Mothers, am I right?"

"Yeah," I said aloud, giving them a weak shrug. I doubted they knew sign language, it was better to speak.

"Alright, sweetheart. I'm just going to check your vitals and then let you get some rest. How's that sound?"

I shrugged once again. Sleep sounded like a good idea. The nurse took my temperature, listened to my heartbeat and checked my blood pressure amidst other things while making idle chit chat. They had a smile planted firmly on the face. This was meant to reassure me and make me feel better I suspected.

"It's okay," I said.

The nurse stopped putting away the medical instruments.

"What?"

"No need to pretend around me." I locked eye contact with them for several seconds before they looked away, smiling wanly.

"That's a first,"

"Everything has to begin somewhere." I stared out the window, the day's events weighing me down.

"Thanks, Hun."

I could tell their weariness almost matched my own. The nurse left my room without another word. I turned away from the window, staring straight ahead at the wall before me. There was a picture hanging there. A splash of colour to break up the dull whiteness. My eyelids slid closed slowly, the image of a blue flower blurring into my mind.

--

My eyes fluttered open, protesting at the bright florescent lights. Sitting up, I examined my surroundings. Something was different. I spotted a tray of food to my left. Grabbing it, I carefully maneuvered it from the bedside table to my bed. Didn't want to spill the orange juice. I propped the tray of what was intended to be my breakfast on my lap. A very unappetizing looking bowl of mush graced my visual sensors. Taking the spoon, I scooped up some of glop and put it in my mouth. I spit it out immediately, the feeling to hurl building up immensely. It tasted disgusting and the texture was grainy and just, no. I grabbed the orange juice glass and downed it. Never again, I thought, shuddering. I pushed away the unappealing sight, hoping Toriel would soon arrive with the promised piece of pie. How did people survive here?

Suddenly, I was aware of immense pressure on my bladder. The last thing I wanted was to have an accident. I'm not five anymore. I pulled the blankets off me and swung my legs to the side of the bed. Standing up, I took a few steps before pitching forward, legs giving out. I fell with a crash, pain radiating from my left wrist where the IV needle had once been. My head throbbed from the sudden impact. The IV stand was on the floor, lying next to me. I staggered to my feet, using the bed for support. Probably not the smartest of moves, I mused. It's not all that surprising I'm weak after everything that's happened. Taking it slow, I bent over to pick up the IV stand. I glanced at my left wrist again. There was a small trickle of blood running down my arm. Before I did anything else, the door burst open, revealing a doctor and a different nurse than the one who had attended to me yesterday.

"Ms Dremmurr?! We heard a crash, are you all right?"

I cracked a smile at the doctor.

"I'm fine. Just took a little spill." I signed this in hopes of maybe the doctor knowing sign language. Then I wouldn't have to talk. The dumbfounded expression on their face told me otherwise. I repeated myself, this time aloud.