Twenty-One

Soon, a hotel loomed into view. THE SHERATON was emblazoned on the side of the building. Eyes widened, my mouth fell into a small o. I'd only ever seen pictures of the place. The hotel's ballroom was reportedly magnificent.

"I hope you don't mind, darling," Mettaton said from the front. He turned around. "It was the best I could do on short notice. Toriel informed me only last week that she wanted to throw a graduation party for you."

I shook my head vigorously.

"No, this is great! I've always wanted to come to The Sheraton," I took on a confused face. "Why such a large venue though?"

"Did your mother not tell you she invited all of the monsters in the area? She's very proud of you, y'know."

My stomach twisted a bit. That was a lot of people.

"The world's biggest flirt is afraid of crowds?" Chara nudged me playfully.

"No," I signed whilst sucking my cheek in. "I just thought it was going to be a small, private, celebration is all."

"Don't worry darling, tonight is going to be spectacular! You'll be fine,"

If you say so, I thought to myself. "Alright, Mettaton." I flashed him a winning smile. Satisfied, Mettaton turned back in his seat.

Soon, we pulled into the hotel parking lot and made our way to the hotel entrance. I felt butterflies dancing in the pit of my stomach. The last time I'd been to a big function like this was the middle school formal. And that had gone badly. I bit the inside of my cheek as we walked across the parking lot.

"THIS WAY, EVERYONE!"

Papyrus held his arm out pointing in the direction of the doors and marched on proudly. I giggled, his confidence lessening the butterflies. It's just a graduation party, I reminded myself. It's not a dance where your date stood you up last minute. Besides, that was only sixth grade, any relationships then were meaningless—

"I can hear your rambling. You should do a better job of closing off your mind."

S-Sorry, I stammered. It's just nerves.

I glanced back at Chara. She stuck her tongue out at me.

"Try not to worry so much, partner. It's a party for you! If you don't have fun, that kind of defeats the purpose of having it. It'll be fine."

I know.... Well, everyone there is going to be a monster, and they're generally very nice by nature. So, yes, you're right. Everything will be fine.

"Atta girl,"

Chara linked her arm in mine and we continued on. Mettaton took the lead as Papyrus held the hotel door open for us. Mettaton led us down a corridor before promptly turning right. At the end of the hall, two gigantic doors were open, displaying the ballroom in all of its glory. It was gorgeous! Gold and white was everywhere. From the tables to the chandeliers. There were all sorts of monsters, many I recognized. Some were dancing, others were in line for food. Then Mettaton turned his speakerphone mode on.

"Beauties and gentlebeauties, our honoured guest has arrived! Please give her a round of applause!"

Everyone stood up and began to cheer. I blushed, embarrassed by all the attention. You would think I was used to this by now, being the monster ambassador. A compartment on Mettaton slid open and he took out a microphone. He held it out to me. I looked at him worriedly before accepting it.