Nine

Service was over and I was freezing my tail off. I personally believe that churches enjoy making the building feel like the inside of a walk-in freezer. I pulled my shawl tighter around me, following behind Toriel and Asgore. When we made it outside, I tugged on Toriel's dress sleeve. She turned to me, a question in her eyes.

"What are we doing for lunch?" I signed.

"We're going to meet up with The Skele Bros at the mall. Once we get there, we'll decide which restaurant to go too."

I nodded. That was good with me. We got into the car and drove towards the mall. It took a little while of driving around in circles in the parking lot, but we finally found the skeletons' car. Thankfully, there was an open spot next to it. While we pulled in, I noticed Sans sitting on the hood and Papyrus yelling at him. Probably telling him to get off the car. I laughed to myself. Those two were something else. I opened my door and stepped out. Sans glanced towards me and hopped of the hood.

"hey, kiddo."

Sans winked at me. For once, his ever-present smile didn't harbor any malice towards me.

"HUMAN, WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU." Papyrus said excitedly.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked behind me to see Toriel and Asgore.

"What about us?" Asgore chuckled.

"OH, YEAH! YOU GUYS TOO. DO NOT FRET, I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS DID NOT FORGET ABOUT THE KING AND HIS WIFE."

"Hey guys," I signed while laughing. "Where are we going to eat?"

"some italian place," Sans shrugged. "paps picked it out."

"Figures," I rolled my eyes.

Toriel cleared her throat.

"if we're done with tha greetings, may we move along? lead tha way, papyrus."

"THIS WAY,"

Papyrus was glowing with happiness. Probably excited about all the kinds of pasta the restaurant we're going to has. It took us a bit to get there as Papyrus got us lost, but we made it eventually. When a server came up to us to get us seated, their eyes widened as they realized their patrons were monsters. They spluttered a bit before leaving us standing there at the entrance. I frowned. I knew for a fact that this specific mall allowed monsters. What on earth was going on? The server came back with what looked like their manager. The manager surveyed our group and made a disgusted expression.

"I'm sorry, but you cannot dine here."

"Excuse me?" Toriel didn't look happy.

"It would unnerve our guests if they knew a group of monsters was in the facility with them. We can't have that." The manager took on a haughty attitude. "However, the young girl I see you have there may."

I glared at him, furious. This imbecile!

"You are aware that it is illegal to turn us away, right?" I signed to him. The manager gave a surprised look.

"What did she say?"

"she said," I turned back to look at Sans. He had a dangerous expression. His left eye was faintly glowing. "'You are aware that it is illegal to turn us away, right?'"

The manager took on a worried/guilty expression.

"My child," Toriel placed a hand on my back. "We do not have to eat here." With that statement, she looked up and gave a meaningful glare to the manager. I shook my head no. They will let us eat here. Besides this whole situation being totally wrong, I knew Papyrus really wanted to come here. I wasn't going to give up so easily.

"This mall allows monsters to patron here. You're not allowed to refuse us. That should be stated in your lease contract."

Sans repeated what I had signed. This manager! I know our rights, I've studied this. As the ambassador for monster kind, one should know these things.

"I-I..."

"I can call the owner of this mall and ask him about it if you don't believe me," I signed, whipping my phone out. The owner of the mall and I are friends to a certain level. I've met with him a few times at meetings.

This action confused the manager until Sans translated for him. He looked scared now. He was quiet for a few moments, a defeated expression on his face.

"F-Forgive me," He stuttered. "I-I was foolish to try and turn you all away. Today's meal will be on us. Follow me..."

We did as he asked and were soon seated. This should've made me happy. It was another small victory for monsters. But I was only saddened that this happened at all. Sans glanced in my direction and noticed my glum expression.

"chin up, kiddo," He began, elbowing my right arm. I flinched in pain as his bony arm made contact with my wound I had received two nights previous. Sans didn't finish whatever joke he was going to make to cheer me up. He instead turned to me fully, a wearing a worried look.

"buddy, 're ya okay?"

"I'm fine," I signed. The movement caused more pain to flare up. I clenched my teeth.

"don't ya lie to me. what's wrong, kid?"

"Nothing."

I turned away from him, crossing my arms. I felt something warm trickle down my arm. Well, shoot. Sans' eyes widened. He looked at Toriel and grinned.

"tori, we'll be right back. tha kid n' i have somethin' we need ta discuss."

Toriel looked mildly surprised, barely glancing our way.

"Alright, Sans. But don't take too long. The food will be here before soon."

And with that, Sans grabbed my arm and we teleported out of the restaurant.