Twenty-Two

A/N: One more "fluff" chapter before I make you all hate me again. :D
--

Toriel had apologized for not telling me that she invited a lot of people. Of course, I forgave her. I know she's proud of me and wanted to show off her precious child. Toriel suggested I go and visit with some of the monsters. I think she just wants me to socialize with people other than my close friends and family. However, I complied and started going around the room.

It took a little while, but soon I was rather comfortable with talking to everyone. My shell was broken and it would be some time before it was glued back together. Many congratulated me, others gushed over how much I had grown from when I first set everyone free. I simply smiled and welcomed the compliments. A warm, fuzzy feeling built up inside me as I continued to go around the room talking to everyone. Perhaps having such a large party wasn't a bad idea after all, I thought. This went on for around an hour or so before I retreated to the punch bowl. I hadn't drunken anything all evening and my throat was parched, despite primarily communicating through sign language.

Suddenly, the lights dimmed and slow tempered music began to play. People began to gather on the dance floor, mostly couples from what I saw. I noticed Toriel and Asgore had entered the dance floor as well. No surprise there. They wouldn't miss an opportunity to slow dance with each other, I mused, smiling. To my surprise, a certain fire elemental monster and spider took to the floor as well. I'd suspected the two had a thing for each other, this confirmed it. To no surprise, Asriel had managed to convince Chara to dance with him. They were so cute together! It was adorable the way Chara stumbled about, attempting not to step on Asriel's feet. Taking a sip of my punch, I continued to survey the scene. Mettaton and Alphys soon took the spotlight as Mettaton pulled off some flashy moves. Poor, Alphy, I giggled at her flushed cheeks.

Looking around, I sought out Papyrus and Undyne. Soon I spotted them near the corner of the dance floor, away from everyone else. The two were rocking back and forth slowly, both of them had a blush equivalent to a bad sunburn. Everyone had someone, it seemed. Everyone except for me. I sighed and mindlessly sipped my punch. I wish Sans would ask me to dance... Soon, I headed over to the table that was designated for me, my close friends, and my family. I idly played with my fingers as I watched all the couples dance.

"Maybe I'll just get up and start dancing anyways," I mumbled.

"hey there, pretty lady,"

I felt my cheeks flush as I turned my head to my left. There Sans stood, hand held out. I noticed his cheek bones had taken on a light cyan colouring.

"ya seem awful bonely standing here by yerself. care ta dance?"

I giggled at his pun an accepted his hand. Sans led me out onto the dance floor. He put his free hand on my waist, which caused me to blush even more than I already was. As I put my hands on his shoulder I asked, "S-So, who put you up to this?"

"i see ta think highly of me," He teased. I made a face.

"Sans, why would your pile of lazy bones willingly do something that requires physical exertion?"

Sans chuckled. "alright, ya caught me. grilbz noticed ya were by yerself and told me ta go ask ya ta dance,"

I knew it. Like he would ask me on his own.

"Grilby has been dancing for a while now," I said, subtly calling him out on his last statement. "And with Muffet I might add."

He grinned.

"him and muffet? that's a new development."

"I had had a feeling the two liked each other. Despite Muffet's apparent hostility towards Grilby,"

We were both grew quiet as we swayed back and forth. I looked down at our feet. I don't think I could handle staring directly at him.

"So, Papyrus and Undyne," I said, breaking the silence.

"i trust her," Sans replied coolly.

"They make a cute couple."

"i won't disagree with that," He chuckled. "paps always had a thing fer her. finally worked up tha guts ta do something about now that she's had a break from her last relationship, it would seem."

"Is that why he joined the Royal Guard?"

"yes n' no. ya know papyrus, he genuinely wants ta help people. it's in his nature. getting ta be around undyne all the time was jus' a bonus."

The slow and gentle music soon died away to be replaced with something more upbeat. I was about to let go of Sans' hand when he spoke.

"d'ya know how ta swing?"

"What?"

Sans adjusted his hand hold on mine. Instead of simply having my hand on top of his, it was like a cookie in a glass of milk. He then lowered our entwined hands to waist height. I looked up at him confused.

"i'll take that as a no. it's fairly easy, i can show ya how."

Sans gave me a speed lesson on how to do swing. You basically just step forward and back in a rocking motion, then swing out every now and then. We practiced for a little bit longer until the next song started. It pretty much had the same tempo, so I assumed it was another swing song.

"five, six, seven, eight, n' go!"

We stepped in beat going back and forth steadily. I kept my focus on our feet as to make sure I wouldn't step and his feet. This went on for a couple of minutes before he told me to look up.

"relax, dancin' is supposed ta be fun,"

I giggled nervously as I looked up into his eyes.

"I l-literally just learned this dance. I don't know how relaxed you expect me to be."

That only garnered me a laugh as we continued to dance to the beat.

"let's try ta swing out, eh?"

"You sure?"

"what could go wrong?"

A lot of things, I thought dryly.

"alright, and one, two, three, and swing!"

I spun and swung out, and keeping to the beat, swung back in. My face flushed with the exhilaration.

"yer a natural," Sans grinned. I returned the smile, almost breathless.

We continued to dance until I declared my legs were going to turn into jelly and I would then have to eat them because of how hungry I was.

"i guess we better fix that,"

We went back to the table and got our plates. As we walked over to the food table, I glanced at Sans. I hadn't really noticed what he had been wearing. I was too preoccupied trying to not make a fool out of myself. He was wearing a tux, though as of now he wasn't wearing his jacket. The tie around his neck was neatly done. Must be Papyrus' doing. I couldn't imagine Sans being able to properly do it. He looked rather dashing. I sucked in a breath, working up courage.

"You look nice, S-Sans." Sans jolted a little and looked at me. "Well, you c-called me pretty earlier. Thought I'd return the complement," I mumbled, eyes cast downward.

"awe, thanks kiddo," I glanced back up at him. His cheek bones were a bright cyan blue. "let's get our food," he said, continuing towards the food line.

"Y-Yeah, good idea." I followed on after him, scolding myself for doing what I had done, but congratulating myself at the same time.