Fifteen

Sans's POV:

The breeze blew lazily through the echo flowers, causing them to rustle around me. Bzzzzt. Bzzzzt. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. Bzzzzt. Bzzzzt. With an annoyed sigh, I dug out the cellular device. who would be calling me at this time of day? I thought. As far as I knew, I didn't have any plans. Unless Papyrus needed me to accompany him and Undyne on an "outing" as he so calls it. I dunno why he doesn't just admit it already. Shaking my head, I sat up, flipping the phone open, and put it up to my ear, not bothering to check caller ID.

"he-" I was cut off abruptly.

"SANS!" A familiar voice boomed through the speaker, sounding broken and scared.

"tori?" I replied, confused.

"Sans, I-I..." Toriel was sobbing on the other end.

"whoa, hold up. what's goin' on?"

"I can't lose another one.... I can't, I can't... I just c-can't! Sans, please! I need you to come to the local hospital."

I felt my nonexistent stomach drop, body turning rigid. It couldn't be! A thousand possibilities flashed through my skull as my left eye glowed briefly.

"tori, i'll be there as fast as I can."

Not giving her a chance to reply, I shut the phone and shoved it back into my pocket. I leaped to my feet and with a snap of my fingers, I was at the hospital doors. now I'm kind of glad Papyrus made me volunteer here with him. I thought back to the experience and how much I had loathed it. I had planned a whole day of do nothing. The usual. But anything to make my brother happy. As I walked in the all too familiar hospital smell hit my nasal aperture. My face scrunched up as I eyed the waiting room. My soul was pounding, but I needed to at least act calm. I located the reception desk, where a very bored looking nurse sat doing paperwork. They didn't notice me when I walked up to them so I cleared my throat.

"Name?" They asked dully, not even bothering to look up. They acted as if this were merely a mundane task.

"frisk dreemurr."

That got the nurse's attention.

"The monster ambassador princess?"

I rolled my eye orbs at the question.

"that would be tha one. couldja hurry it up a bit? her mother called me earlier n' it seemed real urgent seeing as she's at tha hospital." This nurse was starting to irk me. I needed to know if Frisk was okay and they were NOT helping.

"R-Right, sorry." The nurse's fingers flew across the keyboard. I watched them anxiously. Their eyes lit up as they located where Frisk was, but they quickly dimmed, lips twisting into a frown. "She's in the intensive care ward on the fifth floor in room 509. Her file doesn't indicate what's wrong though. It's possible they don't know. I ca-"

"thank ya fer tha help," I said, cutting her off. I spun away from the desk and headed over towards the elevator. Right after I hit the up bottom I heard the nurse stand.

"Wait, sir! You can't go up there! Only family is allowed."

I glanced back at them, left eye glowing.

"i am family. and i'm not about ta let some human like yerself prevent me from seeing her!" I spat out the words more harshly than I had intended. Fear grew in their eyes and they backed down.

"S-sorry sir, I shouldn't have assumed..."

I ignored the nurse, turning to the elevator as it dinged and the doors opened. I stepped inside and hit the level five button as well as spamming the close door button. c'mon, go faster! I thought. I had no idea what had happened to Frisk and it was killing me. I paced the elevator as it traveled upwards. It stopped once at floor four, but one look at me prevented anyone from getting on. I finally reached the fifth floor and as soon as I was out, I bolted down the hallway, looking for Frisk's room. It didn't take me very long. I burst through the door and a very unpleasant scene greeted my eye sockets. Frisk was in the middle of the room on a hospital bed. Tubes were protruding from her mouth, nostrils, and arm. Her form lay broken and small, breathing heavy and laboured. I walked up to her slowly, gently taking her hand. It was so cold... My other hand clenched tightly. how did this happen? My train of thought was lost when someone placed their hand on my shoulder. I glanced away from Frisk to see Asgore. His expression was grim. The sound of hiccups and crying caught my attention. I looked past Asgore to see there were two other people, a human and monster who were both wearing yellow and green striped sweaters. They looked to be around Frisk's age. The two were trying to console a distraught Toriel in the back corner. Asgore followed me as I walked over to the little group and placed my hand on the goat mother's shoulder.

"tori?"

Toriel looked at me with red, watery eyes.

"Oh, Sans! Frisk won't wake up! I don't know what to do." Asgore went to embrace her. She buried her face into his shoulder. I glanced at the other two, focusing on the human. Shock and then rage seized me as I recognized who it was.

"chara! i shoulda known it had somethin' ta do with ya!" I growled, grabbing Chara by her sweater's neckline.

"Sans, no! It's not her fault!" The other young monster tried to pull me away from Chara. My gaze snapped to him and I realized he looked like a smaller version of Asgore and Toriel put together. I dropped Chara and took a step back.

"what is goin' on?!"