Twelve

I blinked, surprised. Really? I thought. No threat or attempt on my life or-

"Oh, hush, will you? Besides, I couldn't. Not even if I wanted to. I can only harm you in the void."

I made a face. Because that was SO reassuring. I guess trig will have to wait, I mused dully. I unlocked the car door and stepped out. A breeze blew by, tussling my hair softly. Alphys wasn't going to like this. She wasn't going to like the idea I had in mind to get Asriel back either. But it was worth a shot. I walked up to the door of her house and knocked a pattern, humming along with it.

"Da, da, da, da, da," I paused.

Da, da. The final two knocks answered mine. The door opened, revealing a yellow lizard like creature with oversized front teeth and glasses whilst wearing a white lab coat.

"Alphys!" I signed, beaming.

"F-Frisk!" Alphys stuttered, returning my smile. "It's b-been awhile since I l-last saw you. Come on in!"

"Gladly."

Alphys moved aside as I stepped inside the house. I looked around, slightly chuckling at the messy interior. Stacks of paper and anime related items were littered throughout the building.

"S-sorry about the clutter." Alphys played with her hands nervously. I signed to her that it was fine. We headed into her living room to find a fishiliar face sitting on the couch playing video games. Undyne looked up from what she was doing.

"Heya, punk!" She flashed pointy teeth at me before turning her attention back to the game. I chuckled slightly.

"H-hey, let's go into the kitchen, okay?"

"Sure thing," I signed.

We both knew Undyne didn't like being interrupted while she was gaming.

I followed Alphys into the kitchen, ignoring the death glare Undyne gave us as we tried to get past the TV screen as quickly as possible.

"Would you like some tea?"

"Golden flower, if you please."

Alphys sighed as she prepared the tea.

"Just had to h-have it rhyme, huh."

I shrugged, a smile playing on my lips. Alphys turned from the tea, letting it steep. She gave me a knowing look.

"Toriel called m-me earlier to tell me you were coming over to help you with your t-trig homework," Her gaze traveled over to my empty hands. "But you didn't bring anything in."

I scratched the back of my head guiltily.

"There was... A change of plans." I signed.

Alphys looked at me weirdly as she picked up the cups of tea, then motioning me over to the dining table.

"W-what's the change then?"

I circled the palm of my left hand with my right thumb for a bit before answering her.

"I had an unexpected... visitor."

Alphys' expression looked nervous, a questioned forming in her eyes. Can't back out now.

"Would it be possible for a being to live off half a soul? Maybe even a fourth of one?"

"I-I don't like w-where t-this is g-going..."

I gave Alphys a pleading look.

"Hear me out, okay?" I looked down. "I want to bring Asriel and Chara back. And I thought maybe I could share my soul..."

Alphys was quiet. I could see little beads of sweat beginning to form on her brow.

"Please..."

"I d-don't think that w-would be a g-good idea."

I knew I was putting Alphys in an uncomfortable position. She would have the wrath of Toriel and Sans to face if she decided to help me. Mostly Sans's.

"Just tell me what to do if you have any ideas," I signed. "They don't have to know you helped. I'll say it was all me."

I could see Alphys' resolve break.

"O-oh, all right. If it means t-that much to you."

I sighed in relief. Alphys' posture relaxed as her nervousness faded.

"L-let's go to my mini lab."

Her face took on a sort of excited expression now that she was in the clear. She led me out of the kitchen and into her bedroom. She opened the door to should have been a closet, but obviously wasn't. We walked in and I looked around. If the rest of her house was a mess, then her lab was a disaster zone. Papers, files and experiments were everywhere. Alphys didn't apologize about the mess this time. She just rummaged through the clutter looking for something. I awkwardly stood in the cleanest spot in the lab.

"Aha!"

Alphys pulled out a file, whilst wearing a triumphant expression. She turned to me, pushing her glasses up.

"I've actually been theorizing about this for a while now. I was experimenting with the theory back in the Underground. Except with monster souls. It didn't work very well, even when they were injected with determination, but a human soul is different. Stronger."

Alphys' stuttering goes away when she gets all sciencey. I'm not quite sure why. Perhaps it's because it's when she feels most confident.

"When we first moved up to the surface, I continued researching human souls, now that I had so much new knowledge available to me. Did you know identical twins share a soul?"

I hadn't. That's probably why multiple birth pregnancies were dangerous. So, this means humans can survive off half a soul...

"That's all that matters. As long as Asriel can live again."

But what about you Chara? I thought. I want to see if a fourth of a soul will work as well.

"What about triplets, or quadruplets? Do they share souls as well?"

Alphys gave me an apologetic look.

"No, not generally. See, with triplets, if there's an egg that split into two fetuses, they'd share a soul, but the third baby would have a soul all to its own."

I looked up thoughtfully.

"But do you think it would still be possible for a being to live off a fourth of a soul?"

"W-well," Her stutter came back. "It's already r-risky when twins share half a s-soul. But a fourth? It's p-possible, I suppose. Seeing as human determination is s-so powerful. B-but isn't it just Chara and Asriel? You could possibly spilt your soul into thirds. There would b-be a higher chance of success."

"That's true," I signed. "But how would we do it? How would we split the soul?"

"Well..." Alphys looked away, silent.

I put my hand on her shoulder and signed her name. She sighed.

"I-it's going to hurt. A lot. You'll l-literally be tearing your soul apart."

My stomach lurched, face paling.

"I'll have to... grab it? Have my soul in my hands and tear a piece off?"

"Yes."

Alphys sucked a breath in and looked me in the eyes.

"Are you s-sure you want to do this, Frisk? You'll be making a h-huge sacrifice, and it might not even work. You might... You might die."

I didn't even hesitate in my reply as I looked back at her.

"It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make."