The Letter

Jasmine woke up a week before school started in a foul mood. She had never particularly liked school. People constantly made fun of her hair and her small stature. She was definitely not looking forward to school starting.
Jasmine yawned and got up. There was no use pretending school wasn't right behind the corner. It was going to happen-whether she liked it or not. She changed out of her pajamas and walked to the kitchen for some breakfast.
Jasmine's mother was frying pancakes on a skillet. "You're awake," she said. "Go sit down and I'll have your pancakes ready soon."
"Thanks mom," Jasmine said before sitting down.
Her mother flipped the pancakes and piled half of them onto a plate for her daughter. She then handed the plate to Jasmine who buttered the pancakes and poured maple syrup over them. "Are you looking forward to school starting?" her mother asked.
Jasmine rolled her eyes. "No," she said. "I don't like school. You know that."
Jasmine's mother gave her a small smile. "I want you to graduate high school," she said. "It's important to do that so you can get s job later on."
Jasmine sighed and took another bite of the pancakes. They were warm and fluffy and melted in her mouth. Her mother got up to get the mail and she finished off her plate of pancakes. She was still hungry. Jasmine had always had a large appetite.
Jasmine was pouring some milk in a bowl of cereal when her mother came back. Her mother's tan complexion looked paler than usual and she was chewing her lip nervously. "Jasmine, I have something to tell you," she said.
"What?" Jasmine asked.
"Here," her mother said and handed her an envelope.
The envelope bore her address and name. The letter was from Lunar Academy. Jasmine tore open the envelope. The writing was slanted and appeared to be written by a dark pen. Jasmine started reading out loud what the letter said. "Jasmine Smith, you are formerly invited to attend Lunar Academy for this school year. The school is a boarding school complete with nice dormitories and excellent teachers. You have been selected to receive a fully paid scholarship. Please send your reply back in no later than two days. Thank you."
"Mom, what is this?" Jasmine asked.
Jasmine's mother sat down. "I didn't want to tell you until you were old enough," she said. "It's about your father."
Jasmine tensed up. Her father was always a delicate topic. He had left mom when she was six months pregnant and never even bothered to send birthday presents or call. "Your father left me because of what I am," her mother explained. "I'm a were-fox."
Jasmine was confused. "Mom, this isn't the time to pull tricks on me," she complained. "I want to know the truth!"
Her mother sighed. "It is the truth Jasmine," she said. "Why do you think I never let you participate in sleepovers and tell you never to fall asleep in class?" she asked. "I didn't want you to accidentally reveal that you're a were-fox when you didn't even know it. I didn't want you to be shunned."
"I already am!" Jasmine snapped. "I have no friends. Everyone at school teases me. Even the teachers think I'm weird."
"I'm sorry," her mother pleaded. "I should have told you sooner."
Jasmine's anger evaporated. "Why didn't you?" she asked.
"I didn't know whether you'd be invited to the school," her mother said. "They invite you for one year to teach you about what you are and how to blend in with regular humans. I will miss you, but I want you to go."