The Test

"Were foxes are known for being very charming." Those words echoed in Jasmine's head as she tried desperately to fall asleep. They seemed like utter mockery (considering her problems in school), but she knew Serenity meant no harm. Jasmine did not feel charming. She had been teased at school for her looks and had never been particularly popular.
Somehow, Jasmine managed to drift off into an uneasy sleep. She woke up to bright sunlight . Jasmine yawned and groggily and suddenly felt a flutter of panic. Had she slept in?
The sound of Fiona blowdrying her hair seared her that she had, in fact, woken up late. Jasmine quickly changed into a casual outfit of jeans and a t-shirt. She pulled her hair back into a ponytail and laced up her shoes before heading downstairs.
Jasmine grabbed a bowl of cornflakes and some toast and headed to a table to sit down and eat. Serenity looked at her weirdly. Jasmine wondered what it was about, but she mentally shrugged and decided to quell her hunger. She was just about to take a first bite of the buttered toast when Serenity knocked the food from her hand. "What was that for?" Jasmine said.
"You can't eat!" Serenity said. "I thought you knew! You are not supposed to eat before the test!"
Jasmine felt her belly rumble in hunger. "Great," she muttered. "What am I supposed to do?"
   "Go to the examination office," Serenity instructed her. "Good luck!"
    "Can you give me any tips for the test?" Jasmine asked, trying to stop her voice from trembling.
    Serenity shook her head. "Nothing can prepare you for it," she said. "Now, go! You do not want to be late!"
    Jasmine hurried to the examination office. She asked another student on the way for help along the way. Finally, she arrived to a room near the end of a corridor.
    Many other nervous students waited outside. The door suddenly opened and a thin woman with beady eyes of a hawk came out. She had an air of authority and power that showed in her pushed back shoulders and with muscles. She called a student's name and they followed her back.
    This happened multiple times. Finally, the woman called Jasmine's name. Jasmine followed her.
    The room had not a single window and the only light was from the fluorescent fog-like gas that hung in the room. The furniture was small and bare with luxurious, velvety, blood-red cushions. The overall effect was of a rich household that had gone in decline. "My name is Mrs. Shepherd," the woman said. "I will be your examiner today."
    Suddenly, Mrs. Shepherd struck Jasmine in the face. The pain wasn't much, but the shock intensified it. She was just getting over the fact that it happened when she saw the glint of the needle on a syringe returning to one of Mrs. Shepherd's pocket. "Why did you do that?" Jasmine demanded.
    "For the exam of course," Mrs Shepherd answered. "You best hope that you pass."
     Jasmins felt nauseous and shaky. She felt her knees buckle beneath her. Her eyesight went black and she was aware of nothing.