Heritage and Defense

After lunch, Jasmine walked to her Heritage class. There they talked about were traditions and lore. They also read about their history. It was a fascinating class, but today Jasmine wasn't as excited about Mr. Hearthshine's lecture on werewolf scares as usual. She was much too excited for her upcoming Defense and Power classes. They had finally covered the basics in both classes and were now going to begin the more interesting hands on activities.
    When the bell rang, Jasmine sprung up and grabbed her already packed bag. She was one of the first to Defense class. The class was taught by the burly and fierce-faced Mr. Goose, who did not appreciate students mocking his name.
   The bell rang and a few more kids scurried in late, but much less than usual. The entire class was staring rapt in attention at their teacher. They were all quite excited for the class. "Today we will begin with some simple fighting moves," Mr. Goose said in his booming voice. "We will be going to one of the training gyms to practice. When we get there, I wish for all of you to pick a partner."
      Jasmine' heart wax thudding with a fizzled, nervous excitement. She was apprehensive about choosing a partner. Serenity and Ursa were still mad at her and she wasn't sure whether Fiona would partner up with her. On the other hand, she was yearning to learn some fighting moves. Maybe being able to defend herself would distill some confidence into herself.
    They arrived at the gym. It resembled more of a giant storehouse filled with roles, obstacle courses, trampolines, and mats than a traditional gym. The class scurried to find partners. With a sinking sensation in her stomach, Jasmine realized that Fiona had partnered up with someone else she didn't know, but was in the Crasher clique. Serenity and Ursa were partnered up. Rachel was paired with Jackie and both of them were poised as if they really wanted to fight each other.
     Jasmine felt a tap behind her shoulder. She whipped around to see a smiling face. "Would you like to work with me?" Lester asked.
    She nodded, as she didn't see any other option. Lester was tall and well-muscled. He was known for his boasting and cocky manner. He was presently looking at her and smirking as Mr. Goose explained that they should start with basic strikes, feints, blocks, and dodges. "I can help you with the moves," Lester boasted. "I am a great fighter. When I was a kindergartener, I heat up this idiotic fifth grader who made fun of my lunch box."
     A picture of a smaller Lester with a rounder face beating up a fifth grader popped into Jasmine's mind. She pushed it aside, striving to concentrate. "You can attack first," she conceded.
    Lester swung his large fist and she barely managed to duck his blow. Feinting to the left, she ducked her head at his oncoming blows and aimed a well-placed strike to his abdomen. He winced, but continued raining down blows. Jasmine dodged most of them, but was still feeling battered by now. "I can help you." He said, pausing to catch his breathe.
    Jasmine stared at his arrogant face. Why would he want to help her? Still, she knew that she needed it and nodded. Soon, he showed her how to strike at certain spots. "You're small and delicate," he said frankly, with no trace of his usual sneer. "You need to make your blows matter and be nimble. Otherwise, you'll easily be overpowered."
The bell rang and Jasmine hurriedly left to her next class.