Fiona Opens Up

Fiona was disheveled the next day. She put her long brown hair that was unusually tangled into a ponytail and wore baggy sweatpants and a hoodie that his her lithe figure. Her eyes were still red and puffy as Jasmine guided her towards a table to eat breakfast. She grabbed some croissants and tried to tempt Fiona to eat one.
Fiona shook her head. She looked completely miserable. Jasmine couldn't believe that this was the same girl who had so rudely met her. Now, she was tearstained and pitiful-a far cry from the harsh persona of the first day. "Why are you being so kind?" Fiona finally asked. "I was horrible towards you."
Jasmine stared back. She couldn't explain what compelled her to comfort Fiona, but seeing the latter break down had tugged at her heart strings. "You need some kindness," she simply said. "If no one else will give it, then I must and will."
"But your friends hate me," Fiona argued.
"They acted strangely towards me last night," Jasmine said, staring at her shoes and trying to blink away tears.
"I'm sorry," Fiona replied, her voice hoarse.
She finally started to nibble away at a croissant. After finishing one, she ate another before abruptly stopping half-way. "They must be talking about me," she sighed.
Jasmine nodded. She understood. She wouldn't tell her to ignore the words that lodged themselves inside hearts like barbed arrows. "Why did they turn on you for getting plastic surgery?" she asked. "Your mom forced you to get it."
"They think I am a traitor and not a real were-bunny," Fiona replied, anger clipped in every syllable. "They also don't want to be associated with were-bunnies that aren't naturally pretty. I would ruin their perfectly crafted image."
"You had no choice!" Jasmine exclaimed.
"Still," Fiona said. "They're right. I am not naturally pretty. I had plastic surgery to remove the splotchy birthmark on my cheek. Before I got it, I was relentlessly teased. My mother called me ugly and hideous. I was afraid that Serenity would tell everyone and that would be the end of me."
    She laughed a laughter of mirthless bitterness. "Never mind that," she tiraded. "I lost all my friends with my own undoing."
      She finished the rest of the croissant. The only remains on the plate were the buttery flakes littering it. "What about you?" Fiona asked.
     "Serenity and Ursa have been treating me weirdly since they saw my results that said I was a were-fox," she admitted.
"They are just jealous," Fiona huffed.
"I really don't see how!" Jasmine protested.
      "Were-foxes have a reputation as seductresses," Fiona sagely adviced.
    "I have never had a boyfriend!" Jasmine argued.
     "I have seen at least three boys glance at you today," Fiona retorted. "Trust me, they'll be fighting over you soon."
    Jasmine's cheeks flushed pink and she shook her head. "Don't be ridiculous!"
    The warning bell rang and the arguing girls were silenced. The lunchroom became chaotic as students hustled about. Class was about to begin.