Strolling

Jasmine started her weekend with one goal in mind: to get her homework done. It was Friday evening and she wanted to finish her homework. Staying inside and writing essays did not bode well on what could be an enjoyable weekend.
She set herself to the task at hand. Jasmine worked with the intense laboring of someone who is famished. By nightfall, her eyes were tired and her brain was numb, but she had completed the two assigned essays and her math homework. She felt a sense of relief and freedom for what she could do tomorrow.
After a well-deserved rest and a large breakfast, Jasmine and Fiona decided to go strolling on the campus. As promised, the weather was fair and lovely. Few clouds obscured the bright blue sky. The autumn air was crisp, but not chilly. There was not yet any harsh bite and the only wind was a lazy breeze. "I miss him," Fiona said out of the blue.
     Jasmine tipped her head in confusion. "Zev, my ex-boyfriend," Fiona elaborated.
     Jasmine fixes a sympathetic gaze on her friend. "He always told me I was beautiful," Fiona recalled. "He would stand right next to me and to say goodbye he'd peck me on the lips. We used to joke that he was a wolf that turned into a human because he could eat such massive quantities of food. It's hard to realize that he does not care about me."
     "Have you told him this?" Jasmine asked.
      Fiona nodded, wiping the tears from her eyes. "I shouted at him when he broke up with me," she admitted. "I was so angry that he would actually do that. It was like my anger was cartwheeling me forward and I could do nothing to stop it's momentum."
       "Maybe you'll find someone who truly loves you," Jasmine suggested.
     Fiona shrugged. "I might not like him back," she stated flatly. "I have high standards for boyfriends and most of the guys at this school fall short."
    She exhaled. "I just wish I hadn't lost everything socially," she admitted. "I know I was horrible to you, but I had friends. I belonged. Now, I am shunned by the same people I shared my secrets with."
    "It can't be easy," Jasmine replied.
     "Not one bit," Fiona remarked. "Sometimes, it would be easier to fall asleep and never wake up."
    Jasmine looked at her friend in surprise and concern. "I wouldn't actually kill myself," Fiona backtracked," but as of now, I could care less if someone slew me. I just want to be free from all of it. It's too much. I feel like I am being squeezed from all sides. I'm afraid that I will collapse or suffocate."
      Jasmine gave her friend a gentle squeeze. Fiona looked at her and gave a small smile. "Thanks for being here for me," she whispered. "Is there anything I can do for you?"
     Jasmine shook her head. She was still confused. She felt as if the works were tipping sideways or perhaps it was righting herself for the very first time. Perhaps she had been born in a sideways world and the new perspective was jarring. Perhaps, but how would she know? Mayhap, the world was tilting sideways or maybe it was just balancing itself out. Only time may tell.