Whispers

Jasmine was sitting by Fiona in the lunch room, the two of them situated near one of the cafeteria's walls. The main gaggle of students were densely populated in the center of the cafeteria. Fiona was watching a group of her former friends through narrowed eyes. "They're just shallow," Jasmine told her.
     Fiona nodded, but still looked on glumly. "The food is delicious," Jasmine tried.
       Fiona sighed. She had barely touched her plate at all. Jasmine felt her heart sting with pity. What must it be to fall from the apex of the pyramid of popularity down to its lowest base? "There is a dance coming up,"Fiona finally said. "It's next Friday. I was going to go with my clique, but they dumped me. I don't want to go alone."
      "I thought you had a boyfriend," Jasmine asked, tipping her head to one side.
       "He broke up with me after I got kicked out of the Beauties," she answered gloomily.
        Jasmine patted her friend's back, feeling awkward. She was not used to or adept at handling relationship problems or friendship drama. Her earlier years in school had consisted of social isolation and ridicule. No guy at her school would have asked her out, even if they were paid. "It's time to go," Fiona sighed.
    The two girls threw their trash away and put up their lunch trays. They walked their separate ways, leaving them both alone in classes full of others. Jasmine sat down at her desk in Heritage class, vaguely wondering what they were going to learn today, but more preoccupied with the upcoming dance.
Mr. Hearthshine quieted the chattering class. As the whispers quieted, Jasmine thought she heard her name, but it may have been her imagination. She forgot about it, though, when Mr. Hearthshine began lecturing on werefox lore and history.
The information was fascinating, but Jasmine couldn't focus. Several times, she caught others saying her name and pointing at her. "Now that we have some extra time," Mr. Hearthshine said. "You can have some free time. Work on homework in another class. Be quiet if you choose to talk. We'll be beginning a project next class."
The class broke out into chatter like budgies, shrilly conversing among each other. Jasmine once again caught her name. Her stomach churned as she heard one conversation. "I hear she's a were-fox," Eline whispered.
     Her friend, another member of the She-wolves curled her lip. "Her?" she asked. "She's kinda skinny. Do you really think any guy would like her over us?"
Eline's voice dropped, but Jasmine could still hear every word. "You know how were-foxes bamboozle men," she said. "It's not an even playing field or we'd beat her every time. Hopefully, the guys will just see her for what she is: a conceited, self-centered brat."
"Yeah, but guys can be so dumb," her friend said.
"We're both prettier than she will ever be," Eline assured her. "Besides, the guys would prefer a strong were-wolf over a fragile were-fox any day."
The bell rang-a high whine that pierced through Jasmine's heart. Grabbing her backpack, she made her way to her next class, back hunched and trying very hard not to weep. It was a week before the dance and it seemed she was farther from being accepted than ever before.