Class Discussion

The first class was Algebra and Jasmine, who had sat by Serenity on the first day, was stuck in the same spot. She gave Serenity a tentative smile that the girl did not return. Jasmine was bored during most of the class and was very excited to get to English.
They were reading books about werewolves in English. They had read the first Twilight book and before their class discussion, they voted to not continue the series. "How are werewolves portrayed in this book and what does this say about how humans view us?" Mrs. Young asked the class.
   Lester raised his hand. "You guys do not need to raise your hands," Mrs. Young said. "We want to make this class discussion as natural as possible."
"We are viewed as violent," Lester stated. "We are also viewed as inferior to vampires."
"Why would that girl choose a vampire over a werewolf?" Loup asked. "We are obviously better."
"They believe that the full moon is what makes us turn into a wolf," Eline stated. "They think of us as controlled by the moon's phases. They do not know that we can turn into a wild at will."
        "It also shows that they are attracted to werewolves," Jasmine pointed out.
    The class stared at her and she felt her cheeks burn. "I mean," she said shyly," the main girl, Bella, obviously liked the werewolf."
     "Good point," Rachel said. "However, we are mostly underestimated and painted in a bad light."
     "They underestimate us out of fear," Eline declared. "It helps them keep their peace of mind intact."
     "Not exactly," Loup argued. "They believe we go rabid every full moon. We don't lose control and start attacking everyone, but that is what they believe of us. If they did believe in us, they would be scared."
     "They also believe that our bite will turn them into a werewolf," Lester pointed out. "So they did get something right."
     "Stupid humans," Eline snorted.
      "They also like werewolves more than our were-animals," Jasmine said softly.
       "I doubt most of them know about other were animals," Serenity argued, glaring at her until she flinched and look at her feet.
      "Yeah," a girl named Jackie agreed. "There is not one mention in this book about us were-sheep!"
      "That's because you guys are jokes," Rachel retorted.
     "We're just underestimated!" Jackie shot back. "We're plenty amazing!"
      Eline rolled her eyes and Rachel giggled. "Just wait until we talk about were-creatures in Heritage class today!" Jackie hissed. "Us were-sheep are plenty amazing. Plus, I'll cream you guys in Defense and Power classes!"
     "Enough!" Mrs. Young said, trying to break up the squabble. "The bell will ring soon. Go get your books and things together, so that you may be ready."
    The class broke into a babble of conversations as they shoved things into their carry-on bags and backpacks. "Serenity was being really mean to you," Fiona mused. "I wonder why Mrs. Young didn't intervene."
     Jasmine shrugged. She was glad there was no intervention. She did not want to become the topic of the latest gossip by getting into a fight with her former friend. The bell rang and the class filed away into the crowded hallways.