The Discussion

"I take it the results upset you?" Mrs. Shepard asked as she brew two cups of tea.
"No," Jasmine answered. "I couldn't read your handwriting."
Her cheeks burned. Mrs. Shepard handed her a cup of hot tea and she gratefully took it. "Thanks," she dully spoke.
"What did upset you if it was not the results?" Mrs. Shepard asked.
"My friends looked at me like I'm a monster," Jasmine breathed.
"We're all monsters here," Mrs. Shepard replied, her voice bitter. "At least to the humans."
Jasmine tipped her head to the side. Mrs. Shepard realized her confusion. "Do you want to go over the results?" she asked.
Jasmine nodded keenly. Mrs. Shepard's eyes were sympathetic and filled with the wisdom of an albatross gaze as she explained the results to Jasmine. "Your friends found out you were a were-fox," she explained. "That is probably what upset them. Additionally, you have the potential to excel in charming and persuasion."
"That's not much," Jasmine huffed. "Why are they so upset about that?"
"Were-fixes have a bad reputation among girls," Mrs. Shepard answered. "Many a high school relationship have been broken up over a pretty were-fox."
"That's ridiculous!" Jasmine exclaimed. "No guy has ever looked my way!"
Mrs. Shepard gave a thin smile. "I know it's hard," she said," but just explain to your friends. If they truly care about you, then you will remain together."
"And if they don't?" Jasmine asked, a note of concern evident in her trembling voice.
"Then, you'll have to find news ones," Mrs. Shepard brusquely stated, ending the conversation.
Jasmine left the richly furnished room, her mind teeming with thoughts. What do they think I'm going to do: steal their boyfriends? It's not like I'd even get a chance. No guy would ever like me. I'm too weird and there are much prettier, smarter, and funnier girls here.
Along the way, Jasmine bumped into someone. "Sorry!" she gasped.
Her heart thudded as the figure turned around to face her. A dark haired boy with a scowling expression glared at her, his lip curled. It was Coal, the leader of the Wolves. "Stay away from me!" he snapped.
    Jasmine recoiled in shock. She hurried away to her dorm room. Her heart was racing and she was acutely aware of his burning gaze fixed on her as she slipped away.
    Finally, reaching the door, she grasped the handle and opened the door. Fiona sat on her bed, bawling her eyes out. Now that she had heard of her mother, Jasmine felt a twinge of pity. "What's wrong?" she asked softly.
   Fiona glared at her before breaking down even more. Her eyes were puffy and red and her hair disheveled. "I got kicked out of my group," she finally half said, half hiccuped. "They pushed me out when they found out my mother forced me to get plastic surgery to hide my birthmark. They said I wasn't a real beauty, like were-bunnies are supposed to be. No one will talk to me-not even the were-sheep!"
     Overcome with emotion, her eyes welled up with tears once more. Jasmine sat down beside her. Eventually, Fiona collapsed into her lap and cried until she fell asleep. It was 12:00.