Fiona's Secrets

Serenity was nervous the rest of the day, darting her eyes around and frequently starting when disturbed. "What is wrong?" Jasmine asked during dinner.
    "Is it Fiona?" Ursa asked.
     Serenity nodded. "I can tell you after dinner," she whispered."We get free time then. We can go on a walk on one of the trails and I can tell you all about her."
They walked very briskly, but it wasn't until they were deep in the forest that Serenity started to explain the situation to Ursa and Jasmine. "Well," she said. "Were-animals often times have more powers than just turning into animals. Some of them have the power to transform humans into were-creatures by biting them. Some of them have other powers."
"When will we figure out that?" Jasmine asked.
"They'll probably give the test to the new kids tomorrow," Serenity said, her hair bouncing up and down as they walked. "Were-wolves are the ones you can usually transform humans into them. Were-dogs sometimes can and we usually have great senses. Were-cats are usually very clever and coordinated. Were-sheep are known for their soft and thick hair. Were-bears are usually strong. Were-foxes are known for being charming."
"Okay," Ursa said. "I was told I was strong the last place I went. I beat all the guys in a push-up contest!"
"What about were-bunnies?" Jasmine prompted.
Serenity looked around quickly and lowered her voice to a whisper. "They usually are fast runners, but sometimes," she said,"sometimes they can be very powerful when they are hybrids."
"Hybrids?" Jasmine asked.
"Her mom was bitten and mauled by a were-wolf when she was pregnant," Serenity explained. "Usually, hybrids are when two were-creatures have kids, but hers was a special case."
"That's her secret?" Ursa asked.
"Oh no," Serenity said. "Most people know she is a hybrid, but unlike many of them she does not have much power."
"That is it?" Jasmine asked. "Why would she not want you to tell us that?"
"This is just background information," Serenity said. "The real reason she doesn't like me is that we used to be friends in middle school. When I met her at high school, she scorned me. Her step-mother made fun of her because she was born with a birthmark on her face. Her mother forced her to get plastic surgery and she was afraid that I would tell everybody."
She paused. "I shouldn't have even told you guys, but I hate keeping secrets," she admitted. "I'm no good at it."
I felt my heart seem to ache. "Is that why she is so testy?" Jasmine asked.
Serenity nodded. "She is afraid that I will tell all the popular kids and they will turn on her."
Jasmine felt a twinge of compassion for her. Kids could be cruel. It seemed horrible that her mother badgered her into getting surgery to hide a birthmark. Why would she make fun of her daughter for that? Why would anyone? Who cares if she got cosmetic surgery? She sighed and tried to enjoy the rest of the walk, but her stomach was churning from anxiety of what would happen if Fiona found out or if her friends turned on her for it.