Chapter 01 | You Look So Freaked Out

Author's Note: Okay, so two quick things before you start reading:

A. Sawyer is a G I R L. I don't know why people are confused about her gender, especially because it's stated clear as day in the description, but people in the past seem to have been confused, so just thought that I'd state it here for you guys.

and

B. No, Flynn Decker is N O T Sawyer's dad. He is not related to her in any way, shape, or form. There is a moment in this chapter when a character says something to Sawyer about him and some people have misunderstood it as meaning that he's her dad, but he's not.

Okay, that's all - happy reading!

Chapter 01 | You Look So Freaked Out

"Oh, yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it." ― The Lion King

"How was your day, Sawyer?" Dr. Fontana, my psychiatrist of one year, asks me in a gentle voice on Friday afternoon as I walk into his roomy office. I close the door behind me before plopping down on the comfy couch that sits right across from his large mahogany desk, which he is sitting behind in an office chair with his dumb clipboard in one hand and a pen in the other, ready to record my daily commentary.

"It was fine, Dr. Fontana," I inform him with a small and somewhat irritated sigh because every single day that I come here after school, the first thing he asks me is how my day went and every single day, I tell him the same thing- that my day was fine.

"Okay, well, that's great," He chirps with a small smile as he writes it down on the piece of paper attached to his clipboard. "You went to school today, I assume?"

"Yes, I went to school today," I confirm with a nod. "And to answer your next question, it was just fine and I got an 'A' on my trigonometry test, so yay for me. Now can I please go?" I plead even though I already know for a fact that Dr. Fontana isn't going to let me out of our session this early.

In the beginning, I had to see him every other day for two hours at a time, which was complete and utter hell because I had nothing to talk about. Nothing I wanted to talk about anyway. Anyway, after the first two sessions I had- which amounted up to being four hours- I complained about it to my mom until she finally relented and agreed to talk to Dr. Fontana about switching the times and now I come every day and stay for one hour, which isn't much better but a little bit, at least.

"Nope, you still have," He pauses and checks the expensive looking Rolex on his wrist. "Fifty-seven minutes to go," Dr. Fontana adds before writing something else down.

"Yeah but I don't need fifty-seven minutes, I feel just fine and I don't need to do this today," I continue, trying to get him to see things my way, which I already know that he won't. Why, you ask? Because he gets paid $250 for each of my sessions. I totally would prefer my mother to spend that on something else because that's literally like, $1250 in one week. Not technically a week, just five days because I don't come on Saturdays or Sundays.

"Let's just move on and the time will fly by, I'm sure," Dr. Fontana says. "Okay, now what are you plans for this weekend, if you don't mind me asking?"

"I'm just going to lie in my bed and watch New Girl on TV and also eat a whole bunch of popcorn, probably," I truthfully inform my shrink.

I don't really like to refer to him as my 'therapist' because that makes me feel like I'm crazy or something, which I'm not. Shrink also just sounds a lot less offensive to me. So, yeah, shrink or psychiatrist but I try to avoid saying the word 'therapist' at all times.