Chapter 19 | That Was Then, This Is Now

Author's Note: So, I thought that this was pretty common knowledge but for those of you who either aren't American or just don't really know that much about history- yes, New England is in America. I've gotten like a bazillon comments asking if the story is set in America or England (it's American, btw). The story takes places in Massachusetts, which is in the Northeastern part of the United States. That Northeastern region is called New England and it includes New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. A lot of people seemed to be pretty confused about that, so there ya go.

“That thing, that moment, when everything around you becomes hazy and the only thing in focus is you and this person and you realize that that person is the only person you should be kissing for the rest of your life and for one moment you get this amazing gift and you wanna laugh and you wanna cry because you feel so lucky that you found it and so, so scared that it’s all gonna go away at the same time.” — Never Been Kissed

“I’m just so sick of his bullshit,” Piper randomly complains a couple of days later as we’re sitting in our second block class—AP European History.

“What do you mean?” I wonder, knowing already that she must be talking about Jason. I guess they’re fighting again, which is weird because they were fine just a few days ago.

“Like, everything is just so bad with us right now,” She states, expelling a tired sigh as she runs her fingers through her blonde hair. “I just don’t even know what to do anymore.”

“What happened this time?” I ask, because she clearly wants to talk about it. I really hate hearing about her Jason drama but listening to boyfriend drama is what best friends are for.

“Well, nothing happened per se,” Piper responds. “It’s just that everything is starting to get to us; I mean, every time we talk, we just end up arguing about stupid stuff,” She explains.

“Why don’t you just break up with him then, Pipes?” I ask her the obvious question. I know that they’re like, madly in love but lately, they’ve been fighting way more than any couple should.

“Because I love him,” Piper wails a little bit louder than I think she intended to, which causes a few of our classmates to shoot us annoyed looks. They’re very grumpy people, our classmates.

“And Jason obviously loves you—literally everyone can see that,” I truthfully assure her. “But if all you guys ever do anymore is fight, is it even worth it?”

“I honestly have no idea,” Piper wearily groans. “I really wanna believe that it’s worth it but the last time things got so bad, I found out he was cheating.”

“No,” She immediately denies, shaking her head. “Yes?” She relents after a second. “Maybe?”

“Well, what are you gonna do?” I wonder, absentmindedly twirling a lock of my hair around.

I really wish that I could actually give my best friend some legit relationship advice, but I’m definitely not qualified to do that. I mean, Graham is my very first boyfriend ever and since we’ve only been together for a few days now, we’re obviously not already having problems.

In fact, when it comes to the dating scene, Piper’s the one with the most experience, which makes you think she would know how to handle a semi-sweet, semi-shitty relationship.

Aspen slept with a whole heck of a lot of guys after Elliot died last April, but she never actually dated any of them, making him her only boyfriend ever. So, I don’t think that she’d be able to give Piper any good advice on what to do either. Especially considering the fact that Aspen absolutely hates Jason with everything she is.