Chapter 05 | It's One Of My Best Qualities

"One day you're going to meet a boy, who treats you the way you deserve to be treated." ― 17 Again.

“Hey, Sawyer, are you sure you’re gonna be alright here by yourself all night while Brett and I are gone?” Beckett randomly asks me two nights later, on the night of Halloween, as he bursts into my bedroom. Without knocking, I might add, which he knows annoys the life out of me. People just walking into my bedroom uninvited, I mean. Granted, whenever Aspen, Sienna and / or Piper come over, they just walk right on in and I usually don’t mind. On the other hand though, they never actually inform me that they’re coming over to my house. I mean, yeah, they usually call but sometimes they just don’t and being that I otherwise have no social life, I don’t mind.

“Yeah, Beckett,” I exasperatedly sigh, assuring my abnormally overprotective brother for the umpteenth time that I will be just fine without him and his slightly weird new friend here tonight. “I told you that already,” I remind him, leaning forward in my bed and tapping the spacebar on my laptop, effectively pausing the episode of The Office that I’m watching and look over at him. It’s not that I’m a huge fan of the show or anything, it’s just that there is only two seasons of New Girl on Netflix and I’ve already watched them both. Steve Carell is pretty funny too, I guess, so that makes watching the show somewhat bearable.

“I’m just making sure,” He says, putting his hands up in surrender. “Anyway, Brett and I have to get going because we gotta help the guys at the frat house set up,” Beckett explains, walking over to my bed and leaning down, kissing the top of my head. “There’s a bowl of candy downstairs in the kitchen, so you can give it out to the trick-or-treaters or you can turn all of the lights out, pretend you’re asleep and eat it all, whatever you want, just don’t eat it all at once,” He warns.  “And you do know that I’m only gonna be fifteen minutes away, so if you need me for anything, just call and I’ll be here, yeah?” Beckett adds.

“You do know that I’m seventeen and not seven, right?” I ask my older brother, raising my eyebrows at him suspiciously.

“Yes, I know that but you’re also my little sister and I’m always gonna worry about you. Especially after the Flynn stuff,” He says.

“Lucky me,” I sarcastically murmur, plugging my earbuds into my laptop, about to insert them into my ears and resume my show.

“I’ll see you later, baby sister,” Beckett chuckles before turning to walk out of my room, leaving the door open, which I just hate.

“Yeah, yeah, okay, adult brother,” I call after him as I put my earbuds in and hit play on the show.

As annoyed as I seem by my older brother and his protectiveness over me, I’m actually really grateful for it. Mostly because I know that he only wants to be certain that nothing like what happened last year ever happens again, which totally makes sense, seeing as how he’s convinced that the entire ordeal was his fault. Obviously, it wasn’t and I’ve told him that several times but he’s intent on believing otherwise.

To be a twenty-one year old guy, he’s actually very stubborn, Beckett is, so I’ve stopped trying to prove him wrong. I mean, it’s not like he knew what was going to happen that night when he invited me to that party that he and Flynn were going to. Neither of us had any idea, except for maybe Flynn but after that night, I didn’t speak to him anymore until his arraignment in court, which was about three weeks after the party.

Anyway, even though I do sometimes act like I’m irritated by my brother when he’s being overprotective, I’m usually not because I know that I’m lucky to have a brother who cares so much. I could have someone like Sienna’s brother, Tommy, and that would probably be the worst thing ever. Actually, there’s no probably.