Closer

Excuse any errors & vote.

Kaydence's POV

We were at the hospital and Ocho had went in, I decided to stay in the car. Shit was crazy son, kids were getting killed, polices were killing us off.. I just wanted and needed to protect me and mine. I was glad that Dior was strong minded and stayed out of the mix especially since she was about to be living that College life." I knew she could handle her own but still yet, I worried about her safety but I guess that was just me being a big brother.

I worried about my mom and Karcyn too, it was killing me not being able to make sure they were straight. They were on my mind heavy and I knew it was fucked up how I was letting shit play out.

There was a knock on the window. I looked up to see Ocho, I opened the door slightly. "Yo, you wanna come in? We gone be here for a minute." I nodded and hopped out of the car. I hated hospitals but I couldn't tell the homie no.

"She good?" I asked, concerned. "They ain't tell us nothing yet." We made our way into the cold building and went to the waiting room. A girl was sitting with her head in her hands, I knew it was his sister.

He took a seat next to her and I sat a few seats down. The vibe in here was so negative, I felt like was gonna throw up and this was exactly why I hated hospitals. I felt myself getting lightheaded.

"Yo, you aight?" Ocho asked. I took a few deep breaths before answering. "Yeah, I think I just need something to drink."

"Word, Ima go find a soda machine." He walked off. His sister's phone vibrated and she picked it up. I could tell that this shit was fucking with her heavy just by paying attention to her body language."

"Yes, Ms. Celine. . We were at the corner store waiting on my brother to pick us up and some guy came from behind a building and he just shot her!" I listened to her speak. I knew I was high but I could've sworn she had said my mom's name. I knew that there weren't many people with that name but then again, I was in a new city.

Ocho walked back with three bottles of water, handing me one and handing his sister one. I drunk some of it, still listening to his sister. She had ended the call and looked at the two of us.

"You guys can leave."

"Nah, hold on.. What's your friends name if you don't mind me asking?" I just had to know because I had a bad feeling about this.

"Dior. . She just go-" I got up and rushed over to the receptionist area, skipping the long line of people.

"Ma'am, my little sister got shot. I gotta make sure she's okay, what room is she in?" I asked the older white lady, speaking quickly.

"Excuse me sir but just like everyone else, you have to wait in line." She responded with nothing but attitude.

"Look, my sister could be up in this bitch dying. I'm next. I don't give a fuck about this line. What room is she i-"

"Family of Dior Ortiz?" I overheard a doctor in the waiting room. Forgetting the stupid bitch at the front counter, I ran back in there.

"I'm her brother. Is she okay?" I asked with worry in my voice.

He chuckled, "Yes, Dior is okay. Luckily, the bullet only grazed her arm." I looked up at the ceiling, giving acknowledgement to God. I had to send all praise to him because it could've been worse. This was the last time a bullet would ever come close to her, I promised.

"Can I see her?" I asked. "Of course you can." I walked off with him, forgetting that Ocho and his sister even existed.

We got on the elevator and headed up. "Right this way." The elevator came to a stop and we exited. He made a left turn and then stopped in front of a room. I took a deep breath and entered without his permission. She was sleeping peacefully with tubes coming in and out of her. I slowly walked over to the side of the bed.