Chapter 6: Courtroom Battle! Pt. 1

Aphmau's POV

With a playful grin, I strutted over to the defendant's table, my shoulders pulled back. Kala rolled her eyes at me where I winked in return.

"You can't resist a flashy entrance, can you?" Kala sighed. Sitting down next to Kala, I set my case on the table and opened it.

"Of course not," I giggled, pulling out my multiple pages of notes. Honestly, I really couldn't. It boosted my confidence and gave me a sense of purpose as I knew people would remember me as the woman with a sassy attitude. 

"Hey, Aph, you think you can help me out, here?" Kala held her handcuffed hands into the air. 

"Oops, sorry," I chuckled. Standing up, I caught the attention of a bailiff. "Hey, yo! Yeah, you! Take these cuffs off of my client!"

Contrary to popular belief, not all lawyers were stuck up, arrogant pricks. 

With a nod of his head, the bailiff walked over to our table, pulled out a ring of keys, and unlocked Kala's handcuffs, which fell to the table with a soft clang. 

Kala stretched her fingers out wide, rolling her wrists around. "Thank, Irene. Those were starting to chafe."

As I sat back down, I grabbed my stack of notes and quickly began to review my opening statement. My sudden boost of confidence from earlier was slowly starting to dwindle, and the crushing fear that I'd be exposed settled in again. If you thought about it, the chances that someone would discover my license expired four years ago were exponentially high. One mistake, and I'd be shipped off to the MyStreet penitentiary. 

Kala seemed to notice my distress. "Hey, Jess. It's okay. It's just like riding a bike. You'll find your groove in no time."

I forced a smile, grateful for her faith, but that didn't stop the negative thoughts from coming. For the most part, I ignored them as I read through my notes. My goal was to twist this story into a tragic self-defense case. Besides, I smirked lightly, I have a secret weapon. From within my briefcase, I eyed the sparkling CD, sitting in its protective case. Clearly labeled in Sharpie, I read the words 'evidence' in neat cursive. Thank you, Katelyn, for your accidental contribution.

"Ten minutes!"

I jumped in my seat as a secretary shouted. To my left, Kala snickered. "You need to relax. You look so tense."

I groaned, dropping the pen I was holding. "How can I not be? I've got a half-baked case, four years of inexperience, and crippling anxiety. I'm going to die. How are you not tense?"

"I've got a good lawyer," Kala gently punched my shoulder. I felt a smile tugging at the corner of my lips. 

After several long minutes, the doors were opened to bystanders. Surprisingly fast, the room filled up with people. And that's when realization set in.

On the outside, I forced myself to remain emotionless, but on the inside, I was screaming. I could never win this case! I was insane to think I could! It's been years since I've done any sort of legal work. I mean, occasionally I would watch those fake courtroom reality TV shows, but this was real. Any mistake I made had real-life consequences. And once I did make a mistake, I'd lose Kala to a life sentence in prison...

Kala's POV

I know I told Aphmau I was calm, but that was a massive lie. I was freaking out! 

My stomach was full of knots, and my hands were clammy as I constantly fidgeted with a lock of my hair. I tried taking a couple deep breath, but that just resulted in my almost choking on air. That's how nervous I was. To make matters worse, the crowd was absolutely enormous. There had to be at least thirty people watching this trial. Didn't these people have jobs or something?

Wait... is that..? No, it couldn't be...

I sat up straighter, narrowing my eyes. Against the sea of blonde, brown, and black hair was a girl with the powder blue hair. It was that Kathy what's-it chick from earlier! Why the hell was she here? I thought I told her to stay away.

"Aphmau, I have something to confess," I whispered. Aphmau turned to look at me, her face a mixture of concern and confusion. 

"This morning, about seven, this girl with blue hair visited me, asking if I knew someone named Aphmau, referring to you. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but she's right here! In this room!" I frantically whispered. Without hesitation, Aphmau's head snapped up as she began scanning the still growing crowd.

Moments later, she spotted her and groaned. "Goddammit."

"You know her?" I exclaimed. 

Aphmau hissed underneath her breath. "Shut up and turn the other way."

I complied, slightly startled by Aphmau's complete one-eighty.

"Who is she?" I asked quietly. 

Aphmau bit her lower lip. "She's my roommate, but she can't know I'm here. She doesn't know anything about my old life."

R-Roommate? I guess I never thought about what Aphmau did once she left us, but now that I thought about it, the words stung. It hurt to think that Aphmau made other friends. I mean, of course, she would, but I felt betrayed. The kind of friendship Aphmau and I had, along with the others, was more than a friendship. We were a team. Our trust was so strong that we put our lives in each other's hands on the daily. To see her put that trust in other people was a stab to the back.

"What are you going to do?" I muttered. Aphmau furrowed her eyebrows in concentration when an idea came to me. From within the deep pockets of my beautiful orange prison uniform, I pulled out a pair of glasses.

"Wear these," I muttered, sliding them across the table. Aphmau picked them up, peering through the lens.

"Where'd you get these?" She slipped them on her face, blinking rapidly. 

"I may or may not have stolen them from Sly before coming to MyStreet." I shrugged. "They let me keep them cause I said they were my reading glasses."

"Irene, I feel like Alex when we went to visit him at work," Aphmau cackled.

I snorted. "At the Daily Planet? Ha! I remember how he nearly spat out his coffee when he saw us."

Abruptly, the doors swung wide open, stopping Aphmau and my's conversation. A woman decked out in full robe attire sped down the aisle, her pointed chin held high into the air and her bright crimson eyes sweeping across the crowd of spectators. Only one kind of person held themselves with that kind of authority. 

"Please rise. The Court of the Second Judicial Circuit, Criminal Division, is now in session, the Honorable Judge Night presiding."

***

You guys are probably so disappointed in me. It took two weeks to type a filler chapter. BUT! I did get an OC in so thank you for her character! I'm just glad I managed to post something, even if it was horrible!! XD

BYE MY LITTLE BRICKS!!!

Edited - 12/9/17