Chapter 17: Help is on the Way

Being a superhero, you face countless amounts of terrifying situations. Ranging from heartless criminals to revolting monsters, each battle brought some form of terror to me. I mean, there was always that fear that I'd lose, but some of the villains I fought were truly horrific. Maybe not just in appearance, though that did contribute widely to some of my nightmares, the actions of some of the criminals were just downright sadistic. It came as a true surprise to me that the one thing I never wanted to fight again wasn't even living.

Falling stars always seemed so magical in the fairy tales. Yet somehow, in real life, they are so much scarier. Technically, they weren't stars, but they were compressed balls of flaming gas, the size of an elephant and thrice the weight. Everything about them screamed run; they nearly killed the entire village next to the hall and they attracted the largest (and most horrifying) gawkin I've ever witnessed. Not even Loki scared me as much as the falling stars because I knew he was a person with his own fears. The stars were just that: stars. They had no emotions and couldn't be talked out of what they were doing.

So I think I had good reasons to be scared of these falling stars which I why I nearly froze in utter terror as I heard the sound of one.

"What's that noise?" Kawaii~Chan shouted, her black ears pressed firmly against her head. Internally I cringed. If the sound of a falling star was incredibly loud for a human, it was probably nothing compared to the sensitive ears of a werewolf or mei' fwa.

Pushing myself off of Kawaii~Chan, I leaped to my feet, eyes glued in the sky. I scanned across the sky as fast as I could comprehend, but it was impossible to find. No matter how hard I tried, the star sounded like it was coming from every direction, clouding my senses. But eventually I spotted the star, a giant ball of glowing white reflecting different colors of the rainbow, racing towards the ground at increasing speeds.

"Kawaii~Chan, I don't care what you think of me now, but if you care about the others for a damn second you have to do exactly what I say," I grabbed Kawaii~Chan by her biceps, digging my fingernails into her skin so hard they created red crescents. "Get the others and get them out of the city as fast as you can, and whatever the hell you do: Don't. Look. Back."

Kawaii~Chan looked terrified, as she should. Pupils constricted, tail between her legs, lip trembling. I knew that Kawaii~Chan would probably start crying if I wasn't keeping her grounded to reality. And I also knew that no one, especially my friends, should have to go through this, the terror of not knowing wether you're going to live or die. And that's why I was going to do everything in my power to protect them, my friends, my family. They were just people. They didn't stand a fleeting chance against these stars or Loki or any other evil out there, but I did, so it was both my duty and desire to protect those who couldn't. I just needed Kawaii~Chan to let me protect her.

"I trust you," Kawaii~Chan bowed her head. I was taken aback by her use of first-person pronouns. I knew that her speaking in third-person was a choice, and I never questioned it, but hearing hear say 'I' made her statement more... real. For a brief moment, my perspective of Kawaii~Chan warped: who was she? Then she was running down the street towards the other's houses, her black tail stiff and bottlebrush.

Pushing aside my confusion, I turned back to the sky, seeing the last rays of the star disappear behind the city skyline. Moments later the ground shook from the impact. Realizing I couldn't afford to waste any more time, I took off sprinting to my house, jumping over the standard suburban white picket fence.

Once inside my bedroom, I changed into the tattered Black Canary suit, and snatching my wrist communicator, I slipped on the ear piece. A strange sense of familiarity settled in, like during the trial. It was comforting knowing that I could almost be who I truly was, the sassy, kick-ass Asgardian with a taste for justice and tamales.