Chapter 23: Rejuvenation

"Stop..." I croaked. They couldn't hurt her, not after all I've done to protect her. With tremendous effort, I rolled onto my side then onto my knees. My hands and arms kept shaking despite them in their broken state. This made standing up even more difficult, but I managed to stand up on my wobbling legs. I felt like a fawn trying to stand on its legs for the first time.

"You will... not... harm her..." I rasped, holding up my clenched fists, which to were shaking uncontrollably. Around me, the sgom made a strange choking noise; they coughed and sputtered violently. They're laughing. Well, if they think I can't beat them they're wrong. Silver Surfer stepped forward as did the others. The teenage girl whimpered. With my one shaking hand, I grabbed hers and pulled her close, keeping a protective arm around her.

"J-Jess... Come... Jess... Wher--... you..."

My comm! Honestly, I'm surprised it survived the fall.

"Castor! Sly! Anyone! Do you copy!" I said, my voice super scratchy as I nearly tore my throat in half. I released the button on my comm only to receive static. "Kala! Alex! Do you copy!"

"On--... way... put..."

Okay, that backfired. In a fit of frustration, I pulled the comm from my ear and crushed it under my boot.

Then, out of nowhere, my vision darkened as an acute pain washed over me. It was like nothing I've felt before. I cried out, stumbling to keep my balance, fearing that if I fell over the impact would hurt a ton more, but even my attempts to stay balanced was making things worse. My stomach was now bleeding freely again. I was going to die. I knew that much, but at least I'll die protecting this girl.

The sgom were almost five feet from us. Silver Surfer raised his hand when it began to glow an icy blue. I didn't hesitate to put myself between the girl and Silver Surfer. The girl gave a hysteric sob. There was a loud bang, then--

***
Sly's POV

"She's just around this corner!" I shouted to Alex who was flying next to me. I took another quick look at the blue map plastered on the inside of my mask just to make sure we were heading the correct direction even though I knew we were. I'd been checking the map nearly every second for the past three minutes; it would be impossible for us to be heading the wrong way.

I flew right, turning the corner. Instantly I spotted someone. Flying closer, I realized that someone was Jess... who wasn't moving. The crowd of silver aliens were closing in on the her, one close enough to attack Jess with a swipe of it's ugly arms.

"JARVIS, power flying systems by fifteen percent," I ordered. My suit responded by a sudden burst in speed, and I managed to get a good angle on the alien closest to Jess. I fired a beam at the alien. It disintegrated into a pile of sparks and silver dust. With a little help from Alex and Steven, we were able to figure out what these aliens were made out of, and a little reverse engineering later, I reprogrammed my weapons systems to fire a beam laced with an toxin deadly to the alien species.

Landing, Alex and I started taking out the first row of aliens, me firing beams and Alex using his laser vision. We advanced, keeping a reasonable distance between us and the aliens, but somehow a few managed to slip behind us. One alien threw itself onto Alex's back, wrapping its first set of arms around his neck. Alex tried to throw the alien off, prying his fingers and the alien' steel grip, but it didn't budge.

I killed the other few aliens that had passed us before dealing with Alex's new girlfriend, but by this point, it had taken one of its spiked arms and stabbed Alex in the shoulder. He hissed, angry. He reached over his back, grabbed the alien by its head, and threw it in front of him, snapping the alien's neck in one smooth motion. And, for shits and giggles, Alex blasted the alien with a nice laser beam to the skull.

"Son of a bitch," Alex grunted, grabbing his injured shoulder and rolling it around.

"Ooo, you kiss you're mother with that mouth?" I taunted, firing a beam at the last few aliens. When most of the dust had settled, I was able to see Jess' body huddled on top of a teenage girl who was hugging Jess and crying though without shedding any actual tears. And for the entire world to see, there was a huge burn in Jess' back, her skin red and shiny, blood everywhere. I mean everywhere. Jess' usual raven hair as matted sticky with blood, and her Black Canary suit was practically threads on her body from all of the cuts in it, all of it stained red.

No...

"Jess... Jessica!" I cried out, falling to my knees in front of the two.

The girl jumped, finally noticing our presence. She clutched Jess' body even tighter.

"Shh, we're here to help," Alex said soothingly. The girl stopped crying almost immediately. Alex has this effect on people. I guess it's the truth, justice, and the American way.

Alex gingerly picked up Jess' limp body and placing her to the side, checked for a pulse. I tended to the girl. "Okay JARVIS, give me a full body scan."

A few beeps echoed inside my helmet as a blue laser scanned the girl. "She has a shallow laceration on her left forearm, several bruised ribs, and her right arm has suffered a sprain."

"I need a morphine shot along with a roll of bandages," I ordered. A shot full of a clear liquid appeared on my right wrist. Taking out the shot, I injected the morphine into the girl.

"That'll take care of the pain, but try not to move too much," I instructed. I grabbed the roll of bandages from my left wrist and began to wrap them around her left forearm and right wrist. Once she was tended to, I snapped around to see Alex looking crestfallen.

"I found no pulse," Alex sighed. N-No...

"Didn't you try CPR?" I snapped. She can't be gone! Just after I got her back! I looked over Jess' paling skin. Her chest did not rise or fall, and her eyes. Her once beautiful amber eyes were now cold and empty.

"When I used my x-ray vision to scan her body I found several broken ribs. I feared if I preformed CPR I wouldn't have done more harm then good," Alex turned away, but I could see his eyes well up with tears. They're going to pay for this.

Behind me, the sound of several feet rumbled through the streets. I turned around to see probably the entire population of the aliens running towards us.

"Sly! We have to get the girl out of here!" Alex shouted. He rushed over to the girl's side and picked her up bridal style.

"What about Jess?" I yelled back over the loud stomping.

"There isn't enough time! They're running too fast! I'm sorry, Sly," Alex sighed before taking off. I reluctantly followed when I saw the stampede was only ten feet away. I flew up next to Alex, but before I could witness Jess' corpse being run over by a bunch a hideous, grotesque aliens, I turned away. And that's when I heard it.

A loud crack.

At first, I thought it was the sound of Jess' bones breaking, but then my suit began to fritz out.

"Sir, I have detected an unusual amount of electricity in the air and it's scrambling our servers," JARVIS spoke. Electricity? It can't be.

A loud clap of thunder snapped me back to reality. Sparks then literally began to fizzle in the air. Something whizzed past my head at an insane speed before slamming into the spot where Jess was. Although, instead of crushing her, it was caught by her outstretched arm.

***

Woah! Another chapter so soon? Who has possessed my body and made me do this?! Just kidding: I was bored, so I made another chapter. :) I hope y'all liked this chapter. I bounced between writing this and watching Young Justice (BEST SHOW EEEEVVVVVEEEEERRRR) and they're making a season three! I'M SO PUMPED!!!! Ahem, yeah.

BYE BYE MY LITTLE BRICKS!!!

(P.S. Sorry these chapters are getting shorter and shorter. At least I'm posting more frequently.)