Chapter 8: The Verdict

Aphmau's POV

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off of my face as I signed a piece of paper for Haio. My pen danced across the paper, my name appearing in large loops and spirals. On a spontaneous whim, I added a short note directly underneath my signature: 'Not bad for your first trial.'

Haio bounced on the balls of her feet, waiting in anticipation. With the last swoop of my fountain pen, I handed her the piece of paper. Her fingers trembled slightly grabbing the paper. I didn't know I still had that much of an influence on people. I've met some fans before, but seeing Haio's admiration for me made me giddy.

"How'd you know this was my first case?" Haio asked, looking up from the note.

"I'm a lawyer, it's what I do," I winked. Haio's grayish-blue eyes lit up, her pale cheeks glowing a warm pink.

"Thank you, so much," Haio breathed. Turning around she walked back to her table, clutching the piece of paper to her chest. Waiting at the prosecution table, a man in a very expensive looking suit smiled at Haio. When he spoke, I was surprised to hear him talk in Japanese. My Japanese was rusty since I hadn't practiced in a long time, but I think they were talking about going to dinner once this was over.

As for me, I turned around only to see a flash of orange before being football style tackled. Wrapping her arms around my waist, Kala picked me up in the air, swinging me around. Through my disorientation, I saw Kala smiling, her cheeks shiny with smeared tears.

"Kala!" I exclaimed. Kala let go of me, almost breaking my ankles in the process as I landed on two-inch heels. I wobbled like a newborn deer. My hands shot out and grasped Kala's shoulders, desperate to steady myself. Suddenly, I found myself of envious of the pair of sneakers Kala's was wearing.

"S-Sorry," Kala breathed. "You were just so amazing. I'd forgotten how good you were."

I scoffed, tucking a stray piece of my curled hair behind my ear. "It's not my best work, but I think it'll be enough."

"Come on, give yourself some credit! The jury looked pretty convinced after seeing the tape. Speaking of, where did you get that video? I wasn't aware of any cameras on the premises. I would've smelt the electricity in the air," Kala asked as we walked back to our table. Slipping my notes into a pocket in my briefcase, I shut the lid, put my glasses back on, and turned to Kala.

"There was a camera inside the wedding boutique," I blinked, struggling to see through a prescription that wasn't mine. Things weren't blurry, just very glassy and rounder on the edges. Good thing Alex wears contacts during battles. Squinting, that only made my vision worse.

"Oh, yeah, Sly's vision is all sorts of messed up. It probably has something to do with that fact that I accidentally pointed a laser in his eyes when he was six," Kala shrugged. Shoving her hands into the prison uniform's deep pockets, Kala spun on her heel and started walking forwards the door.

"Was there really a camera in the wedding shop?" Kala asked again. I nodded, pulling my cardigan closer to my body. I never get cold, mainly because I'm the goddess of thunder, but I would do anything to be back in bed with a cup of hot cocoa.

"Damn, so that's why I smelled so much rose perfume," Kala muttered. I chuckled. Kala's enhanced nose was so sensitive that she always opted against undercover missions in balls or galas, because of all the perfume and cologne that the men and women wore. It gave her a headache and just smelled horrible, according to her.

"Let's get some lunch," I suggested. "I didn't eat anything for breakfast, and I am starving."

"Still have the appetite of a gorilla, I see," Kala said.