Chapter 29: It's Almost Over

From the sky, an acid green cloud descended rapidly, leaving a trail of smoke behind. The closer the cloud got to the ground, the more and more tired I felt. Everything in my body began to feel numb. I struggled to keep my eyes opened, but I pushed passed the fatigue.

"Hello everyone, miss me?" Loki asked with a sneer. Swiftly, the cloud dissipated to reveal my least favorite uncle. Loki held his chin up high like he knew he already won the battle. Personally, I felt like he already had. I was tired, bleeding, and in a lot more pain than I care to let on.

Loki idly twirled his golden scepter between his fingers while walking around the battlefield, examining an assortment of silver alien shards. He playfully kicked a pile of shards, humming thoughtfully. I would like to mention that Loki still had his forcefield protecting Steven, which did not help my current anxiety levels in the slightest.

"I'm honestly shocked," Loki spoke aloud, "I didn't think you had it in you. I think you surprised us all, my dear niece."

"Well... Dad always said you liked surprises. Figured I might as well give you a show," I chuckled tensely.

Loki shrugged, swiping a shard from the ground and slipping it into his cloak, "He's not wrong..."

Somewhere to my left, Jose cleared his throat, "I love a good family reunion, but I believe we're in the middle of a war."

"Sadly, the green chicken is right. ("Hey!") Even though this pitiful race has just been so brutally murdered, their leader still has some use to me," Loki sighed. When I looked over at Steven to see his reaction, his face was eerily calm, like he was patiently waiting for something.

Loki walked back over to Steven, and just as he was about to teleport away, Steven shouted, "Maneuver 13A!"

Instincts kicked in faster than any bolt of lightning.

Aiming Mjolnir at Loki, I breathed in deeply from my gut and felt the electricity race through my bones. When the lightning convened at the head of Mjolnir, I released it all in a tremendous spike of lightning.

Both Jose and Castor simultaneously launched a volley of miscellaneous arrows at Loki while Sly and Katz rapidly fired blasts from their suits. As for Kala, she launched numerous sections of the dense road at Loki's arrogant face. What surprised me most, was that Steven produced dozens of razor-sharp sewing needles and propelled them at Loki, the man who previously just saved him from a world of hurt.

Distantly, somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought of Alex. I hoped he was okay. Not having him here felt wrong, but I tried not to focus on that.

But now that I thought of it, we did hide him in some bushes. Would he be able to absorb the sun's rays if he was hidden? Was he just waiting out the fight? Did somebody find him?

Gah! Stupid ADHD...

Pulling my mind back together, I realized my energy levels were dipping even lower, especially because of Loki's stupid aura spell he cast before arriving. Before I could cause any permanent damage to myself, I pulled Mjolnir back. Instantly, the lightning fizzled out with a booming clap of thunder.

Everyone else stopped fighting when they saw me stop. Instead, we all just stared at the giant cloud of dust that hung around Loki. The small breeze that just moved in helped clear some of the dust, but it wasn't until a blue and red figure came soaring over the skyscrapers that all of the dust cleared.

"Alex! You're okay!" Pbat exclaimed. Alex, who appeared to be in decent condition, gave his usual half smile. We then all turned back to the matter at hand: my psycho uncle.

A huge crater indented the road where my mangled uncle now rested. He was still alive, that much I knew. Even though he was a total prick, Loki was still a god (loosely), and that meant it took a lot more to kill him. The same applies to me, but since I'm also part Divine Warrior, things get a little complicated. I try not to think about it.

Loki's ripped up figure was then surrounded by a red sphere which lifted him out of the crater. Steven set him down between Kala and me. When the sphere evaporated, I got an even closer look of Loki, and it was a bit too much for a PG story, so I'll just simplify: it was bad.

Honestly, I kinda felt bad. I know, pitying a villain. But he was still my uncle. On my coming of age party, he gave me a knife with the inscription 'For Your First Kill ~ Uncle Loki' which Dad confiscated immediately, but it was a sweet gesture.

"Now what?" Katz asked. I looked back down at Loki before I remembered the shape he was in and averted my eyes.

No prison would hold him: past experiences have proven that, but maybe... yeah, that might work.

A very old friend of mine has extremely uncanny abilities, even by my standards. I can't go into details because, in the past, he/she specifically requested I keep them anonymous, but I think it might just work.

"I've got this, guys," I stated. They others took a step back to let me do my thing. Slowly, as to not provoke Loki, I tiptoed up to him. Loki's half-shut eyes darted around wildly before landing on me. I tried for an apologetic smile. I knelt down next to Loki's body, extremely gingerly placing a hand on his shoulder.

Loki jerked violently, releasing a groan of pain.

"Loki, I'm sorry," I whispered, somewhat truthfully, "I'm going to heal you a bit to lessen the pain, but I hope that in time, you can understand out actions."

I hesitated a bit to see if I got a reaction, but all I got was Loki's pinky finger (I think) twitching. I took it as a yes, nonetheless.

Concentrating, I took whatever health I had and pushed it all to my left hand. Dimly, it began to glow green. As soon as I touched Loki's shoulder, he relaxed. Some of the smaller burns and cuts closed, but it wasn't nearly enough.

"Jess, what are you doing?" Sly called out.

"I can't just let him suffer," I gasped out through clenched teeth. Oh yeah, the effects of trying to heal someone after a huge battle was definitely taking its toll.

Black spots danced before my eyes, and a dizzy spell washed over me, making me almost lose concentration.

I could tell most of the team didn't think healing Loki was a good idea, but he was family. You don't turn your back on family. Even if he destroyed half of your city.

A couple minutes passed and only a dozen small cuts had closed up. That was how sad my attempt was at healing, yet I felt like I'd just run seventeen marathons.

"That's enough Jess," Castor said. Taking his advice, I pulled away, just about ready to pass out. Now, black and yellow spots speckled my vision and I was so dizzy I almost threw up, but I'm 99% positive I saw Loki mouth the words 'thank you' to me.

"I'm sending you to a very old friend of mine, they'll take care of you," I wheezed. Again, Loki didn't do anything to stop me, so I continued with my plan.

Searching through the tattered remains of Loki's clothes, I found his transportation charm. (Something all Asgardians get when they come of age. Makes travel between the Nine Realms so much easier.)

I pressed the fourth circle on the charm and muttered the friend's name. Slowly, Loki turned transparent before disappearing completely.

And that's when I finally passed out.

***

AAAAAHAHAAA! Why in the world did this take so long? It's summer! I'm doing absolutely nothing, yet this took so long to write, and it's not even half-decent! GAH!

Yeah, hi, sorry this took so long. *slams head against wall* Things have just been so... uninspiring lately. I dunno... I kinda felt rushed with this chapter. It was just something to put out. Anyway, thanks for reading...

I'm not even gonna do the brick thing, that's how unmotivated I feel...

(Gosh, that sounds so depressing)