Chapter 28: The Real Threat

Everything instantly broke out into pandemonium.

Castor and the wild sgom skidded several feet across cracked asphalt, which looked extremely painful,  before engaging in an intense wrestling match. Jose somehow woke up just in time to shield a still unconscious Kala from another alien's attack. Katz was doing his own thing, firing his light canon at any alien that came within ten feet of him.

As for Sly, he did the stupidest thing I've ever seen since I left the Few; he charged Steven.

Steven had his back turned, still looking at me when Sly shot two taser strings from his fist. The strings implanted themselves into Steven's back, and I could sense the electric charges move through the strings. Steven instantly went rigid, a crazy look shifting into his eyes. Well, an even crazier look. When the electric charge wore off, Steven awkwardly reached behind his back and ripped out the strings.

The scowl that was now permanently stuck on Steven's face almost made me want to cower in fear. There was so much anger and pain held in one simple look, that Steven's words finally pierced my heart. I caused all of this. My guilt felt like someone taped a knife to a drill, stabbed my chest, and turned the drill on full power.

When Steven regained complete control of his body, Sly was right behind him. He swung his arm around, ready to knock Steven out, but Steven spun on the heel of his foot and caught Sly's fist just inches from his face.

Steven winced, probably feeling the shockwave roll up his arm, "Woah dude, did you get an upgrade? What is this, adamantium?"

"Vibranium, glad you noticed," Sly threw Steven's hand off his fist and went to punch him again, but Steven's ring flashed a bright cherry red. When the light faded, a giant baseball bat was in Steven's hands, which he used to smack Sly away. Sly was thrown to the side with a satisfying ding.

Suddenly, I heard a cry of pain from Jose. I muttered a curse under my breath. I was so focused on Sly and Steven that I almost forgot about the others.

I forced myself to look away from Sly and Steven and found Jose being dog-piled by the aliens. Kala was finally awake and sitting a few feet away, but she looked very dazed. I knew that wouldn't last much longer, for her healing powers would fix whatever was wrong with her, but my gut churned knowing that wasn't exactly how things were going to end up.

Struggling to my feet, I grabbed Mjolnir's handle only to be zapped by a small spark. It didn't hurt, in fact, it kind of tickled, but it was the surprise that made me let go.

At my feet, the uru hammer hummed with energy.

"Not now," I breathed. I slowly brought my hand to Mjolnir's handle, silently cringing in anticipation. When the hammer did not respond, I gently closed my fingers around the worn leather handle. A strange prickly sensation crawled up my right arm, making it feel almost dead and useless.

In any other circumstance, I would have let go and just fought with my hands, but I couldn't afford to do that right now.

Using mostly upper body strength, I pulled Mjolnir off the ground. The sensation in my arm seemed to actually grow heavier, which didn't help my current situation.

But I ignored all of my pain and focused on getting to Jose.

I took off running towards Jose, hardly even noticing that the hammer actually grew a bit lighter in my hand. When I came within fifteen of the aliens, the one alien on the top of the pile spotted me, snarled to get the others' attention, and began charging me.

The alien swiped his sharp claws at my face, but I slid backward to avoid his hand. I then raised Mjolnir and smashed it into the alien's face. He tumbled to the side, crumpling to the ground, unmoving. However, my troubles were just beginning.

Apparently, the aliens wanted to kill me a lot more than Jose, which was fine by me, as long as Jose lived to see the next day.

One especially small alien ran straight at me while two others flanked around me on either side. Thinking quickly, I leaped into the air just before the three aliens reached me. They slammed into each other, and before they could shake off their daze, I pointed Mjolnir at them. It was then I realized that the prickly sensation was gone and was replaced with a new, invigorating energy. In fact, my whole body felt like I'd been injected with 100% pure caffeine.

There was a sharp, almost painful yank in my stomach, and the strongest lightning I've ever produce incinerated the group of aliens.

What's even more, this lightning didn't evaporate instantly. I saw it move in slow motion, each and every twist in the bolt of lightning. The white snake spiraled through the air in an elegant dance. It pierced the small alien's silver skin which shattered into little shards.

Have you ever seen a time-lapse? You know, you see regular, everyday life in just a few minutes; you see the sun move across the sky so smoothly; you see clouds roll in and out of existence; you see the trees and grass shake in the wind. Well, this was like that, except the opposite. Everything moved so slowly, I thought this was all just a dream.

Every shard of glass glinted brightly in the sun, reflecting everything. When the shards hit they ground, they burst into even smaller pieces.

By the time the small alien completely hit the ground, the bolt of lightning split into two and stabbed the other aliens. Each time a bolt struck an alien, it broke off into another bolt of lightning; they zig-zagged all around the four-way stop.

As the last bolt of lightning stabbed the last alien, everything whipped back to real speed. I floated back to the ground, still feeling like I drank the world supply of espresso. The first thing I noticed was how quiet it was.

"Aph...?" Jose gently called out. I looked over to see Jose standing in a pile of silver shards.

"Interesting... very interesting," Steven muttered. "Lucky for me, that wasn't even half the aliens."

Steven pursed his lips when Katz shouted, "Don't let him whistle!"

Steven took a deep breath, but not before a blunt arrow hit him the head. Steven stumbled forward, a bit dazed.

Not wanting to waste any time, I yelled, "Get him!"

All seven of us charged.

When Steven looked up and saw all of us charging, he looked genuinely surprised, but then his face turned calm. He knew something. I thought about stopping, but I was so close to ending all of this madness. I ignored my gut and continued to run.

That was my first mistake.

Castor got there first, which means he was the first one to run into the strange, purple forcefield that had manifested around Steven. The forcefield zapped like a bug zapper, and Castor toppled back. His hair stuck up in odd directions, smoking.

"Hold on..."  I muttered. I stopped running along with everyone else. That forcefield was achingly familiar... where have I seen it before?

Kala picked up a rock and tossed it at the purple wall. There was a loud zap, and the rock crumbled into dust.

"Everyone, keep your distance. This is definitely Asgardian, I just can't place it," I called out. Even Steven seem to adhere to my warning. He stood stiffly as to not touch the forcefield, but that didn't stop him from inspecting the shimmering surface.

I kept trying to rack my brain for the information, but it just wasn't there.

"Surely," a voice suddenly said, "my only niece hasn't forgotten about me!"

And that's when I remembered who the forcefield belonged to.

***

Heyo! Sorry this took so long. The last week of school was filled with studying, finals, and many, many tears of agony. But it's now summer vacation! I am so excited! To celebrate, I made myself a new profile pic!

So yeah... You can go check that out -3-

BYE BYE MY LITTLE BRICKS!!!