Chapter 13: Battle Scars

Aphmau's POV

Let me just say, I am not proud of what happened next.

When the nurse looked up we both just stared at each other, unsure of what to say. The awkward tension grew until the nurse opened her mouth. Not wanting to make a scene, my instincts took over and the next thing I knew, I was pinning the poor nurse to the ground.

"Don't hurt me!" the nurse cried under my grasp. I rolled my eyes. Swiftly I got off of the nurse and she scrambled to her feet.

"I-I'm calling the police!" the nurse whipped out her phone and began dialing. Oh, come on. Why can't they ever go peacefully? I dug inside of my utility belt and found what I was looking for. Flicking my hand, a small, black metallic ball skidded onto the ground before exploding in a sickly green mist. Small tendrils wound their way up the now scared nurse until she breathed them in and fell to the ground out cold. I silently walked over to the nurse and dragging her to the corner, hid her behind the bushes.

"It'll wear off in an hour," I whispered. The nurse snorted loudly which was pretty much the only thing indicating she was alive. Another set of footsteps filled the hallway and before I had to knock out another person, I ran away. The doors flew by me, my own footsteps lightly echoing against the walls.

Rounding the corner, I barged into room #314. Like before, the sight of Katelyn, immobile and in a death-like state, made my heart skip a beat. Some old wounds reopened, the sting ten times more painful. I pushed through my memories and slid over to Katelyn's beside. I didn't have much time. The odds of that nurse being found were pretty high and soon the police and S.W.A.T would be crawling all over this place.

The needle slid right into her arm, crimson blood began filling the glass tube. Faintly, I could hear a male's voice, "Angelina? Angelina! Wake up Angelina!"

Hurry up! The male voice was now shouting down the hall for help and it was coming. Fast. Footsteps echoed down the hallway, getting louder and louder with each step. I thought about stopping right there but I needed every last drop. Three doctors ran by without questioning an open door. To this day I still don't understand why they didn't acknowledge the open door. Maybe they thought a nurse was in there. Your guess is as good as mine.

Blood now completely filled the syringe which I carefully slipped back into my utility belt. I waited by the door to see if any more staff would walk by. Once the coast was clear, I slipped through the door and extremely gently shut the door. At the end of the hall, I could hear some pretty heated arguments although I didn't have time to hear it all as I quickly turned around and ran down the opposite hall.

Since my only exit was blocked I'd have to find another way out. How foolish of me, leaving that nurse where I needed to escape. I guess it doesn't really matter now, I just have to find a different route. If I take this left I'll end up by the elevators but if I take this right I'll be by the windows. What do I do? Uh oh, I better choose fast.

More voice came into earshot. Why are there so many doctors? I can't go to the elevators, what am I thinking?! That's the hotspot for staff! I'm almost guaranteed to go to prison. Ah, but my second option isn't any better. I could jump out the window but that means a seven story drop would ensue and that isn't exactly pleasant for any of us. Gah! I'd rather take the window. I at least have a chance of escaping.

I rounded the corner, and as luck would have it, another doctor was standing in the hall. His worn face snapped to alarm when he realized that whatever leather cloaked demon I was kept on barreling down the hall. 

I didn't bother to stick around and continued to sprint down the seemingly endless hall. The man yelled at me to come back but guess what! I didn't. What a little rebel I am.

I turned the corner one last time and saw the windows. At this point my legs were tired, my lungs were now heaving for air, and sweat covered my entire brow. Behind me, what seemed like the entire staff, was not chasing after me. Without hesitating, I pulled out my gun and fired it at the window. As I expected, the glass was bulletproof but I'm not looking for it to shatter, just weaken it. I fired the gun again, cracks in the glass forming spiderwebs. One last time I fired and the glass was now weak enough.

"Stop right there!"

I whipped around and saw the police running straight towards me. Running towards the policeman, I pivoted on my foot and began sprinting towards the glass. With my arms protecting my face, I crashed right through the window. The sounds itself was deafening. Glass shattered all around me, minuscule shards digging into my skin. Even large shards dug into my skin though through all of the adrenaline it just felt like an annoying itch.

Cold wind stung me in the face as I fell. Midair, I spun around I pulled out my second grappling hook and fired at the roof. Continuing to fall, the police gawked at me. Guess they've never seen a superhero before. That or they think I'm going to die. Either one.

Finally, the hook caught the ledge of the roof and I was jerked to a halt. As if in one big slap every single ounce of pain returned to me. I hung from the building, gasping in pain. It was unbearable. The glass dug into my skin and nerves, waves of stinging pain and throbbing pain causing me to not think straight. With all of the glass in my sides, the running, and stress it felt like my first mission. (A more bittersweet memory.)

Above me, I could still hear policemen shouting and in the distant, sirens. I pressed a button on the grappling hook and slowly I was lowered to the ground promptly collapsing upon landing. I laid on the ground, slightly hidden by the bushes. I didn't feel like moving ever again but the sirens were a good motivator. The hook retracted back into the gun with the push of a button. I would have liked to get the other one but this was on the other side of the building and I just didn't have the time.

With a great sigh, I limped all the way home, every step sending a new flare of pain. After one hour of torturous walking, I arrived back home and boy did it look more comfortable than ever. Walking up the stairs I could here Kawaii~Chan breathing softly. At least she's safe.

I walked into my room and flopped onto my bed. I didn't bother with the glass shards, I was too tired to care. I just need a minute. I pulled out the syringe after a while and inspected it in the dim moonlit shining from my window. Something about it seemed... off. The viscosity seemed so much higher and the color changes dramatically from crimson to cherry red under light. I couldn't wait to see it under a microscope!

I pushed myself into a sitting position and put a piece of cloth in my mouth. Gripping the glass tightly I yanked it out of my side. My face contorted into one of pain. I bit on the cloth, trying to refrain from screaming. I chucked the glass to the ground. I did this to the rest of the shards, each one worse than the last. Eventually, I was glass free and laid in my bed, struggling to keep my eyes open. Placing the syringe on my bedside, I threw some blankets over me and let sleep consume me whole.

My only hope was that I wouldn't dream.

***

Hello, my wonderful readers! Yesterday I got the Wattpad app and so far I like it. I'm still getting used to it but overall I rate 10/10. I hope y'alls enjoyed this chapter. Looks like Aphmau wore herself down pretty hard. Makes you wonder how far she's going to go to save Katelyn. >:3

There's not much really I have to update you guys on. Uh... VOTE, COM-- wait, I'm not like that. Uh, I mean, vote and comment if you want. It's not like I'll hunt you down if you don't. :) Anywho,

BYE BYE MY LITTLE BRICKS!!!