Chapter 18: Falling with Style!

"Kala's back, bitches!" Kala cackled, her slim figure dangling from Sly's arm. 

"Wait, what do you mean by 'back'?" Sly screeched. His suit gave a slight jerk, but it was enough for Kala to slip a few inches down Sly's arm. In a flurry and cursing and kicking, Kala swiftly climbed back up Sly's arms.

"Hey! Watch it, playboy!" Kala snarled. This time Sly was laughing despite the death glares Kala was sending him. I didn't really know how to feel, but at the moment I just laughed. If anything had stayed the same over all these years, it was Kala and Sly's "playful" banter. 

 A few moments later, Sly touched down on the ground, the rest of the team behind him.

"Guys..." I smiled weakly, unsure of what to say. I'd been planning this day ever since I left but I never figured it'd be under these circumstances. All my words just completely left me. I guess the same was for everybody else; they just stared at me with giant grins plastered all over their faces. It wasn't until Alex cleared his throat, gathering all of our attentions.

"I think we can all agree that it's a pleasure to see Jess again, but according to all the chaos around us there's a city needing to be saved," Alex said. As quick as it came, the awkward tension broke.

"Right. Alex,Sly, and Steven, I want you guys to keep the stars at bay. Whatever you do, do not let them touch the ground. Once they make contact with anything solid it will burn it away like acid. Be careful as well. These stars are like condensed balls of flaming tar. It'll burn you if you're not careful," I ordered, a strange sense of nostalgia settling over me. Part of me was excited to be in charge again, to be the protector of all that is good and innocent, but the other part of me was absolutely terrified. I mean, two-ton balls of flaming death, hurtling towards you at speeds up to

It was a comforting thought.

"The rest of you guys, there are people still trapped under buildings and ruble. Get them out and take them to the nearest rescue camp for help. I don't know how long the stars will fall, but we must stay vigilant." the Few nodded and split up. Castor disappeared in a purple blur, Alex, Sly, and Steven all flew off, and the rest ran off to the city.

I, however, stayed behind. There were bound to be people stuck on the outskirts. I took off running, probably east if I had to guess. Another star struck the ground, making it tremble ferociously. I struggled to keep my balance, rocks and buildings tumbling around me, many threatening to crumble to the ground.

It wasn't long, maybe seven minutes, before a pregnant lady came running from around a building shrieking.

"Help me! Please, somebody, help me! M-My husband! He's stuck underneath a building!"

She practically collapsed into my arms. "Woah, calm down. Where is your husband?"

It took a while since the last wouldn't stop crying, but eventually, she led me to where a young man, 25 perhaps, was pinned under a giant steel beam. I cracked my knuckles as I bent down, and shoved the beam of the man. He cried out in pain, clutching his left arm. Broken, no doubt about it.

I helped him to his feet, only for him to be tackled by his wife. She was full on sobbing. Tears and snot ran down her face. "Ray! Oh, Ray! I thought I'd lose you!"

A warm smile spread across my face. Seeing the couple happy and together was one thing I missed from being a superhero. Before anyone could notice me, I slipped away undetected. I was positive they could find their way to a rescue camp. Continuing my path around the city, I continued to help more people. As of now though, stars were falling so rapidly that the ground never stopped shaking.

A couple times I looked up to see Alex or Steven catching a star and tossing it away. It was strange, really. I never thought that this is how I'd be reunited with my friends. My thoughts were abruptly put to a stop when I heard a noise, similar to a train rumbling down a track while simultaneously being chased by an airplane. Don't ask how I know what that sounds like.

My head snapped up to see the biggest star I've ever seen. (That's what she said. -3-) Probably five times the size of a van. Even worse, it was rocketing towards the ground where a man was clutching his leg, broken. What I presumed to be his mother was desperately calling out for help. They didn't know a star was going to fall straight on them.

"Castor! Alex! Can you hear me?" I shouted, pressing a button on my earpiece.

"Loud and clear," Castor responded after a moment of static.

"Whatcha need?" Alex said.

"There's a man with a broken leg and his mother, but they don't know that a huge star is falling towards them. Castor, I need you to get them out of here. Alex try to push the star away as far as you can. Get it away from the city," I instructed. A few moments later, a purple blur raced in front of me. Castor ran up to the two civilians, picked up the old lady, and was gone in a mere four seconds. A moment later and Alex was flying over my head, towards the giant star.

There wasn't much I could do at this point other than watch.

Alex body slammed into the star, moving it about thirty yards, yet it was still too close to the city. He continued to push the star away from the city, but from what I saw, it looked like Alex was in extreme pain. Quickly, I pressed a button on my ear communicator.

"Alex, you've got to stop! The stars far enough from the city!" I shouted. I could see Alex press his earpiece above.

"N-No! I can do this!" Alex strained. Alex ignored my protests and continued pushing the star away.

"Alex! That's far enough!" I yelled. Alex must've gotten tired, but with one final shove, he kicked the star away from the city. With an incredible boom, the star crashed into the ground sending dirt flying into the air. Alex hovered in the air for a moment before clutching his head. He began to fall towards the Earth, not showing any sign of recovering.

Castor was nowhere to be seen, and everyone else was too far to catch him. It looks like it was up to me to catch him.

Me, a woman with no flight and very weak powers, is going to catch Superman, who is hurtling towards the ground at 100 miles per hour and increasing. Yeah, piece of cake.

***

Hello there! Hope y'all liked this chapter. Sorry it took so long to post. XD School was canceled today so I decided to finish this chapter. Neat. I don't really have anything else to say soooooooo...

BYE BYE MY LITTLE BRICKS!!!