Chapter 9: Vertigo

Aphmau's POV

"We the jury, in the case of The City of MyStreet versus Kala Sketch, find the defendant not guilty of second-degree murder."

I inhaled so fast I almost choked on my own saliva.

"Thank you, Jury, for your service today. Court is adjourned," Judge Night announced. Low whispering broke out, but it all sounded muffled. I had done it. I won Kala's case. After four years, I won. This old judge still got it...

"Jessica?" Kala's voice was soft, but it was the only thing I heard among the chattering of the bystanders. Turning to look at Kala, I noticed how calm she looked. This made me nervous, as I couldn't tell what Kala was thinking.

"Thank you," Kala mumbled, avoiding my gaze. "From the bottom of my heart, I mean it. You saved me from another horrible time in prison."

"That's what friends do, no matter how many arguments you get into," The corners of my lips curled into a small smile before I furrowed my eyebrows deeply. "Wait, did you say another?"

Kala rubbed the back of her neck. "I may or may not have stolen a car."

"You committed grand theft auto while I was gone," I leaned back in my chair, pinching the bridge of my nose. "Kala, I thought you had changed."

"In my defense, Castor and I had a run in with Poison Ivy," Kala huffed.

"Then why did you go to prison? Shouldn't the police have known you were Wolverine?" I pointed out.

"We were at the mall in our civilian clothes," Kala chuckled. "We were in prison for two months before José could bail us out."

"I thought Sly paid all of the bails?"

"Sly was in Wakanda with Pbat for a business thing," Kala brushed off the question with a wave of her hand. "José was able to pay for it, easy."

At this point, the courtroom was nearly empty; only an elderly couple and a bailiff were left. Standing up, I shoved everything haphazardly into my briefcase and snapped it shut, calling out to the bailiff. "Excuse me, sir. I request Miss Sketch's personal items to be returned to her immediately."

The bailiff nodded, leaving the room through a back door.

"Just a piece of advice, orange is not your color," I sighed, faintly smiling. Kala rolled her eyes. Our conversation after that was tense, only talking about business. Once again, I reminded Kala that she had to return back to the Hall and never tell anyone about this. And once again, she growled at the idea.

"You're clothes, wallet, and phone, miss," the bailiff held out Kala's possessions where she snatched them greedily. The bailiff looked stunned to see the stuff disappear so quickly. With a sigh, I loudly cleared my throat, glaring at Kala.

"What? Oh, thanks," Kala said, preoccupied with checking her wallet and phone for damage. With a sigh of disapproval, I turned to the bailiff and thanked him myself. The bailiff left, and when I checked over my shoulder, the two elders where gone. Kala took this opportunity to strip down to her underwear, right in the middle of a courtroom.

"Kala!" I shrieked. But before I could do anything, she was already in her civvies.

"You can't just do that in public, Kala!" I hissed, suppressing laughter. "Especially in a courtroom!"

Kala batted her eyelashes innocently. "Oops, my bad."

A long and drawn out groan escaped my lips. "You're insufferable and an idiot."

"But I'm your idiot."

A genuine smile played on my lips. "I'm sorry I got ever got angry with you. Then and now."