Chapter 11

Nimali

"Here. I forgot to give this to you." Minnie said holding a folded piece of paper out to me.

"What is it?" I said putting my lyric pad down and sitting right side up on the bed that I was currently laying down on with my legs up the wall.

Instead of answering my question, she placed the paper in my outstretched hand and continued eating her ice cream at my desk.

Unfolding the paper, I discovered that it was the flyer for the upcoming open mic night at The Lounge.

I had gone there a few times to get away from everything for a while and I loved that it was such a small, quaint place with all around good vibes.

My music appreciation teacher encouraged us to participate in this event, even going as far as promising extra credit, but my participation was going to be simply showing up and enjoying the artists.

"And why are you giving me this?" I questioned, laying the paper on the bed next to me.

"Because I think you should enter it -- and don't even say you can't sing because I've heard you sing on multiple occasions. Plus, the $500 cash prize wouldn't hurt either." She said stuffing her mouth with more vanilla ice cream.

"I'll write a song for someone and split the profits if they win, but I don't know about actually getting on the stage."

"You gotta take yourself out of your comfort zone, Mali." She scolded.

"I'll think about it." I said starting to get a little frustrated with her badgering.

Hopefully it'll get her off of my back about it for the time being. I already had enough on my mind like the upcoming dance routine that I had to create to be captain and potential divorce of my parents.

She sighed.

"Mali, I'm not trying to make you upset, I just know that you got something special and really have a chance at going far with it. Much further than anybody that's even thinking about entering this little competition. You'll be like the Beyonce in a room full of Michelles or Lil Mamas."

"We'll see." I said lightening up. "Thanks though."

"For what?"

"For hyping me like this." I said laughing a bit.

"Of course, I'm sure you'd do the same for me." She was right, I would without hesitation.

I just nodded as my phone buzzed signaling I had a text message.

Devin: What are you doing, beautiful?

Nimali: Being a bum with Minnie. What are you doing?

Devin: Same. Just with Ulis. I miss you!

Nimali: I just saw you lol.

Devin: I know, but the season starts in a couple weeks and I'm not going to be able to see you that much.

Nimali: Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. Y'all wanna come over here?

Devin: I thought you'd never ask.

"Why are you smiling so hard?" Minnie asked, pulling my gaze away from my phone screen. "Let me guess, it has something to do with yellow man?"

I laughed and nodded.

"Devin and Tyler are on there way over here."

"Didn't we just see them fools?" I just shrugged.

We went back to laying around until there was a light knock on the door followed by loud banging, undoubtedly Tyler.

I threw my legs over the side of the bed before going to open the door.