Chapter 32

Devin

20:00

Twenty minutes until tip-off and I was warming up my shot with one of our managers. I could tell it was going to be a good shooting night for me just by how easily the ball was gliding out of my hand and into the net.

With 15 minutes left on the clock we headed back into the locker room to get our pre-game speech from Coach. Everyone filed into the small space and sat in their individual lockers, surrounding Coach Watson.

"Alright, alright!" Coach started. "Today, like many other days, we are the underdogs. The media is already predicting us to lose this game. The fans have their doubts -- hell, some of you have doubts, but I'm here to tell you that it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks. What does matter is how well you play the game and who's on top when that final buzzer goes off. We all we got, and I wouldn't want to be with another group of guys. Now let's get out there and show them what we're all about."

My mentor, and our most seasoned veteran, Tyson Chandler, huddled the guys together and hyped us up before we broke it down and ran back into the arena. Lights flashed from every which direction and almost every seat had a fan in it.

To be completely honest, I didn't think anyone was coming to this game. Granted, neither of our records were all that impressive, I didn't feel like the demand was there.

Stop being so negative.

I shook all of the negativity out of my head as I got in a few more shots before the horn sounded, signaling for the start of the game. Players from both teams went to their respective benches before lining up for the national anthem. The lights dimmed and spotlights roamed the court for effect.

"Ladies and gentlemen, here at the Verizon Center, we are dedicated to good sportsmanship and ask that you remain respectful while cheering on your team. Those who are in violation may be subject to removal from the arena." The announcer boomed through the PA system.

"If you would, please stand, remove your hats, and join us as we honor this great nation in the singing of our national anthem. Tonight, we have a very special guest. Please help us in welcoming two time grammy nominated artist, Nimali."

My ears had to be deceiving me.

My eyes roamed the court until they landed on her walking to the center of the court. She waved and blew kisses to the crowd as she did so.

She really got me this time.

She was able to capture the attention of everyone in attendance as she dressed effortlessly in ripped black jeans, black sueded Pumas, and a black 'Black Lives Matter' sweater.

Just as the crowd silenced themselves, her delicate voice sounded through the arena, almost hypnotizing me. As she sang, I couldn't seem to take my eyes off of her. It was like she had a spell cast over me. Cameras panned over my face attempting to catch my reaction. As much as I tried, I couldn't help the smirk that graced my face, so I put my head down to avoid looking like a love-stricken, teenage girl on camera.

She finished the song and immediately exited the court so that the introductions of the starters could be done.

After the intros, we started the game, and it was a battle until the end. For a majority of the game, we traded baskets and the Wizards seemed as if they were never going to give up, but we weren't either. No one wanted to go into the holidays with another L under their belts, so we were doing everything in our power to prevent it from happening.

Eventually, after enduring a tough fought battle, we came out on top in a 107-101 victory.

After the final buzzer went off, Kelly came over to me to show some respect.