Chapter 14

Devin

The next few months came and went in a flash. We were over halfway done with the season and were looking really good to win the whole thing.

Tonight we were playing North Carolina and the entire campus was buzzing with excitement. It was a Friday game, so that meant absolute chaos.

It was only 2 o'clock, and there were already people lining up outside of Rupp, four hours before the actual game started.

We were just leaving shoot around and were going to go grab something to eat at Panera.

Once we walked in, everyone stopped what they were doing and either tried to take pictures with us, cheered for the upcoming game, or just stared.

I just wanted food.

With all of the commotion, it took about 45 minutes to get our food and I was annoyed. I loved our fans, but it got overbearing at times.

We ate and got out of there as quick as humanly possible.

"You ready, Book?" Tyler asked once I got into his car.

"Hell yeah I'm ready. Them boys been talking real reckless lately. It's about time we shut em up."

"Hell yeah. I might fuck around and get a triple double tonight." He said in his best Ice Cube voice.

I just laughed at him as I looked through the scouting report until we made it to our dorm.

Once we got back to the room, I took a shower and prepared myself for a nap. It's been my game day ritual for as long as I can remember.

Before I got into bed my I received a message from Nimali.

Nimali: Hey, baby! Good luck today. I probably won't get to see you before the game. Coach Andre is tripping, again. But, I'll come find you afterwards.

Devin: Thanks, baby. Just meet me at the gate after the game.

Nimali: Okay, see you then!

I closed out of the thread and went to sleep only to be woken up shortly after by my annoying alarm. Feeling around for my phone to turn it off, I accidentally knocked it onto the floor and groaned when I had to get up.

Sitting up on my bed, I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes before snatching my phone off of the floor and turning the alarm off. I stretched and got up, throwing on some sweats and a hoodie.

As I passed through the living room, I saw that Tyler was dressed and waiting on me. Once he noticed me, we left the dorm and went to the gym to get some shots up before everyone piled into the arena.

We had only been shooting for about 30 minutes and the arena was almost packed to capacity with screaming students and fans alike. Soon it was time to go back to the locker room and get our pregame speech and to brush up on anything that we may have questions about.

Once we returned to the court, it was dark and we could see fog and spotlights roaming the court. We got in line and ran out of the tunnel. There was and eruption of cheers from every direction as we started our team's pregame shoot around.

Before we knew it, it was game time.

The game was fairly close for most of the two halves. It wasn't until the remaining three minutes of the 2nd that we stopped playing around with them and ended up winning by 15.

Everyone was hyped about the win. We didn't even get into trouble when we dumped red Gatorade all over coach. He normally would have threatened us with running, but he was just as pumped about the win as we were.