Chapter 38

Devin

"Over here, Devin." I turned in the direction of the voice as I was bombarded with multiple people with microphones, recorders, and cellphones in my face. "How does it feel to have just scored 70 points in a single game?"

"Um... it's unreal. But, I wouldn't have been able to do it without my teammates believing in me and continuing to feed me the ball." I made sure to keep it politically correct for the cameras. They loved to twist words to make intriguing headlines that would undoubtedly cause drama in the league.

After answering his question, I was called in a different direction. "Devin, even though you scored 70 points, you guys still lost the game. Do you feel the loss took away from your historic night?"

I knew that was coming. "You know, individual accomplishment are cool, but at the end of the day I would much rather be known as a winner. And as a team we want to turn the franchise around and be known was such."

Thankfully, someone yelled that there was only time for one more question.

"Okay, Devin. We all know that you are dating the gorgeous singer, Nimali." The female reporter started.

"I am?" I scrunched my face.

She smiled and continued her prying. "We're curious to know what she had to say about your performance tonight?"

I laughed a little. "I had actually just gotten off of the phone with her before these interviews started. But, she told me that she wasn't impressed and then asked where the other 30 points were." The large group of people burst into a fit of laughter before thanking me for answering their questions and being escorted out of the locker room.

As soon as the last reporter exited, I leaned back in locker. I was exhausted. Not from the game, but from all of the media wanting statements, autographs and pictures at every turn. The only break I'd gotten was when I got into the shower and even then, I was being rushed to meet with the media.

"Yo, Book! We going out tonight." Marquese exclaimed slapping my leg.

I shook my head, I just wanted to go to sleep.

"That was a statement, not a question." Tyler interjected. "Come on before we leave yo ass in this locker room."

I sat up and saw that we were the only three left. Grunting, I pulled myself up and grabbed my bag that hung on a hook inside the locker and followed them out to the awaiting bus. As soon as I stepped onto the bus, Tyson handed me a bottle of Hennessy.

They were really trying to get me in trouble tonight.

. . .

The bass boomed throughout the popular strip club as bodies were bumping and grinding on each other. Myself, along with a majority of the team, sat in the balcony in VIP, away from the craziness. There was a long line of half-dressed women trying their absolute hardest to get into our section, but the security guard wasn't hearing anything they had to say.

I made myself comfortable on a plush leather chair, talking to Marquese, Brandon, and Eric when Tyson came over, being followed by two thick strippers dressed in virtually nothing.

"Book, I'd like you to meet Candy and Star. They're huge fans of yours and wanted to come over here and congratulate you on dropping 70 tonight."

I nodded. "Thank you. I really appreciate it."

The girl that he introduced as Star walked over to me and took a seat on my lap. She leaned into me, making sure to press her chest against me, and started whispering into my ear. "You don't about you let me show you how appreciated you are."