Chapter 42

Devin

In less than 24 hours, and just as I'd expected, Alex made her presence known.

Nimali and I were in a deep sleep when there was loud banging on my front door. The noise echoed throughout the condo, getting louder with every rap.

I unwrapped Nimali's arm from around my waist and slid out of the bed. Quickly pulling on a pair of sweats, I made my way to the door before whoever it was on the other side knocked it down.

"What?!" I damn near yelled as I snatched the thick door open. My face instantly scrunched in confusion once I saw who and what was on the other side.

"Devin Booker?" He more so stated than asked, while holding up his shiny badge. "I'm Officer Miller with Phoenix police department and we have received a report of child abduction at this residence. Is there a Deonte Johnson here?"

My confusion was immediately replaced with anger at the realization of what was going on.

"Are you fucking kidding me?"

"Sir, when it comes to children, we take things very seriously."

I shook my head. "Well, he's not here."

"Would you mind if I checked?" He questioned, adjusting his gun holster on his hip.

I glanced towards his right hip and my body tensed up. Even though I was busy with basketball, I still wasn't busy enough to take notice of the staggering number of innocent lives taken at the hands of officers. My heart went out to the families that had experienced and were currently facing these injustices.

It was crazy because things like this had been going on since the beginning of time, it was just being recorded now. Though it was a good and a bad thing about that. Good because now others could see what we went through on an everyday basis, but bad because now officers were more on edge and be more inclined to make hasty decisions which, more times that not, resulted in yet another victim on the receiving end.

I diverted my eyes back to his face and somehow found my voice. "Until you come back with a search warrant, I do in fact mind. So, if that's all-- goodnight."

With that, I closed the door in his face. I pressed my back against the door and finally let go of the air that was begging to be released from my chest.

"Who was that?" Nimali's soft voice rang through my ears. My head snapped in her direction and my eyes landed on her dressed in only one my Nike hoodies that looked like a short dress on her.

"Phoenix PD's finest." I answered with much distaste.

Her eyebrows shot up. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

"Ma'am, when it comes to children, we take things very seriously." I mocked the words that the officer spewed to me not even five minutes prior.

Her mouth dropped. "That bitch!" I watched as she slid on her sandals that sat by the couch and snatched my car keys off of the counter. "Let's go!"

She attempted to march past me we until I grabbed her by her waist, pulling her back.

"And where exactly do you think you're going?"

"We are going to your former bitch ass fake ass baby mama's house. She wants to play, then let's play." She wiggled to get out of my grasp, but I didn't let up and instead picked her up and carried her back into the bedroom.

I placed her on the bed and pried the keys out of her hand, tossing them onto the dresser. Her eyes were dead set on the keys, so I slid her shoes back off and peeled the sweatshirt from her body. She was still half naked from when we'd gone to sleep hours ago.