Lucien

New Orleans - 2015

Clara De Martel loved her sibling dearly but when you're siblings happen to be Tristan and Aurora De Martel... That love couldn't match up with the Mikaelsons' 'Always & Forever'. Aurora was, in layman's terms, insane. She suffered from bipolar disorder and when she had a fit, people died. Compared to her siblings she had high moral standards. There was a delicate balance in the world that she tried not to disturb. They didn't seem to understand.

The sun was slowly setting turning the sky breathtaking shades of cotton candy. She sighed for the older centuries when life was simple and she wasn't a vampire; for when her siblings weren't vampires. The cursed vampirism wasn't meant for her Aurora. The emotion multiplied times 100 and for Aurora it meant she needed heavy doses of a sedative and isolation. She was too dangerous to be around humans.

Even herself.

People were scattered around the New Orleans streets. Each one holding a phone, or camera, of sorts up; ready to take a picture. A memory. This made her long for the simplicity of being such a creature.

Clara began walking gracefully down the street of the French Quarter; Her brown hair whipped in the cool breeze that passed by. Feeling climate changes was hardly something someone like her noticed these days but the breeze felt nice and cool against her skin. Age does something to you when you turn. After a century or two you hardly feel regular pain. After three or four the weather has no affect on your skin.

But the one thing that always remained steady in her life was the thirst for human blood. And the desirable ache for the man she fell in love with during her years in the 10th century; in Southern France. Life there was so bleak and undesirable, even Tristan and Aurora couldn't make it better.

It was only Lucien. It was always Lucien. He was the light in the pitch black tunnel; the rainbow after the harsh rain. She fell in love with him as a human and it worsened after her transition into vampirism.

But he loved another.

Her heart broke a thousand times when Lucien chose Aurora over and over again. It destroyed her when she saw how broken he was over her choosing Niklaus Mikaelson. The jealousy he felt towards Niklaus is what she felt towards her own sister. She despised him for it.

There was a sudden presence behind her. She smiled and lowered her eyes. "Lucien."

"Clara de Martel," Lucien spoke her name like it was infamous. She spun around and took in his appearance. He wore expensive black clothing and a single daylight ring on his right hand. His eyes were suffocating her. "I knew Tristan couldn't keep you locked up forever."

She rolled her eyes, "I've been away from him for decades. After Aurora had another episode I decided maybe it was time to... Fly the coop."

"Well, I'd be happy if you would join me. I just purchased the finest penthouse in the city." He pointed at the tall sleek tower. The top penthouse, even from here she could tell, was extravagant. Vampire eyes made it easier to see details in the home.

Clara knew she should decline his inviting offer. Every couple hundred years they'd suddenly find themselves in the same city. Lucien would invite her back to his place, they'd drink, then she'd lose herself in the endless euphoria that was Lucien Castle. The sex was great until he's dump her for something better, or Aurora. She met his gaze, arrogance radiated off him like pheromones and she couldn't decline. "Fine. But this isn't going to be like last time," She warned him, "Just a drink."

That made Lucien chuckle a deep throaty sound, "I do believe you said that last time. And the time before that. And-" He was cut off by Clara's fingers wrapping tightly around his neck.