Heart Of Hearts

Clara walked down the street, in the French Quarter, headed for the Compound. Niklaus had invited her to their family gathering for Christmas, but she didn't feel like being there. It was hard to face the reality that she was apart of that family. That he was her blood. Hell, that she was now included in their forever and always. Had that been Tristan's plan all along? To show her a family she never had them rip them away in the blink of an eyes? Oh he was truly the diabolical one. But, much to her own disadvantage, she understood why he did it. She did not like it one bit, though she understand that his intentions were true. He only wanted to protect her. Protect her from herself. Therefore, she felt torn between two worlds. Stuck in the middle unable to fully join one side. She sighed. "I don't want to join one side. I want them both."

Deciding it would be best to bury the darkness that grew inside her thoughts; like vines engulfing a single tree. Instead, she sat at a cafe with a Caramel Brûlée and a book. Halfway into her book, Freya called her to tell her it was over and that Rebekah was gone. There was a sadness in her voice. Clara was hoping to meet her, before she left, to say goodbye. There was still much to say over her almost ripping out her heart and the words she said. But unfortunately she was too late.

With a reluctant sigh, she got up from her spot and began walking through the Quarter. She'd be at the Compound shortly. But, she rather enough the coolness of the air. It was late and moon was high, it was an intoxicating December night. She had her ring off. So, obviously, the full moon gave her a sense of powerful. Even if she wasn't turned yet.

When she rounded a corner she found Rebekah standing with her hands in her pockets. Her expression was something that made Clara's chest tighten. Something was wrong. "Clara, I didn't expect to find you out this late." But she didn't seem that bothered by her. In fact, Rebekah was quite relieved that there was another person there who she could reveal her secrets too.

"Something's happened." She stated. The feeling grew when Rebekah's expression answered her. "Bekah..."

"I got your message." Elijah walked up behind Clara. He looked just as worried. "Clara? Rebekah, what's happened?"

The Original sister sighed. "I was halfway to the airport when I suddenly got the urge to rip out my taxi driver's jugular." Her eyes met Elijah's  with a defeated expression. "I only just resisted." Then, she pushed up the sleeve of her left arm, revealing that her wrist had a painful-looking skull-shaped mark on it.

Elijah's eyes widened in horror, Clara quickly copying his look. He shook his head in disbelief. "No."

"I'm afraid so."

"Freya can try something else." Clara was desperate not to lose her friend. If Rebekah was lost then so was Niklaus and Elijah. Especially Freya. "We must try something."

"What if we've run out of time?" Rebekah questioned, "I already went after Hayley and you. Who's next... Freya herself? Hope? And even if she can..."

Elijah nodded. "You don't want to run."

"You know I always hated it." She added, then reached into the pocket of her jacket to pull something out.

Clara's hand went to her mouth. It was a white oak ash dagger. As Elijah grew more horrified, she felt the sting of tears in her eyes. It was like losing Rebekah. She'd be gone with no way to reach her.

Rebekah handed the dagger to Elijah and continued with a heavy heart. "Hide my body. Don't tell a soul." Her eyes moved to Clara, knowingly. "Especially not Niklaus. Let him be happy just for once. This is our burden to bear. And when the year that the prophecy foretold is over, have Freya work out a cure, wake me up, and throw me a hell of a party."