Cursed Distraction

Clara's throat closed up and her head spun to a point where she felt dizzy just standing up. A few feet from her stood the door to Elijah's room, where she locked herself up. Behind it was Niklaus Mikaelson, the oldest vampire and hybrid, her sire, and her cousin. He knocked on the door, sounded worried about her. She's been crying for a most of the night and Elijah was nowhere to be seen. She stepped away from the door, too scared to open it and face the demons of her apparent past.

Niklaus didn't take her silence as a no. He pushed forward and knocked again. "Clara, are you alright?" He questioned, slowly beginning to worry. "Why are you not answering?"

"I'm fine, Niklaus." She finally answered. Her tongue felt like steel with every lie it told. "You don't have to worry about me."

"You were crying." He stated.

"Just leave," Clara tried again. "I'll be fine."

He was beginning to grow increasingly more impatient. With gritted teeth he made an order. "Let me in right this instant, Clara de Martel!" She noted the anger seeping into his words.

Was Clara still a de Martel? Did this mean she'd go by Mikaelson now? She placed a hand on her forehead and inhaled deeply before walking up the door again. With a swift move, she unlocked it and Klaus barged in. She stepped back. "Happy?"

He saw her tear-stained cheeks and sighed something filled with empathy. Before she could react he wrapped his arms around her and hugged her rightly. She buried her face in his shoulder and sighed, too. He felt warm and safe and smelled like a summer's afternoon with notes of leather and musk.

After another moment he pulled away and bore his light eyes into hers. "Will you tell me what's the matter, love?" She lowered her gaze and shrugged. "Well, do you want to?"

Clara nodded furiously. "I do. Very much so, but..."

Niklaus smiled amused in response, "Ah, it is a secret you behold in your hands, is it now?" Another nod. "In that case, you should know I'm quite the secret keeper."

"Niklaus--"

"Klaus, please."

She sighed again. "Klaus, I can't tell you much. But I'll say this. I too have the werewolf gene in me." She told him quietly, then held up her ring. "Tristan had made this ring in secret-- similar to one when I was human-- to subside my gene as long as I wore it. No anger, no strained emotions during a full moon. Just a human."

Klaus reacted far better than she did and glanced at it curiously. "What if you were to kill someone?"

Clara cocked her head to the side. "It counteracts it I guess. So, if I were to take it off after the death, I'd still be human."

"Interesting."

"Please don't tell anyone else," She begged. Desperation came out in her voice.

"Who knows?" He asked.

She looked out the window feeling the darkness of anger, flowing through her veins. "Tristan and Aurora knew. All my life. Freya knew from Tristan. I assume he knew she'd tell me. He couldn't even tell me himself! That bastard."

"Hmmm." Klaus nodded and blinked slowly. "Very well, I'll keep your secret." He turned and stepped out of the room before turning partially and giving her a mischievous smirk. "Oh and love? I will get the other part to the secret out of you. One way or another."