The Big Sacrifice

Klaus entered the gate silently, Rebekah stood waiting for him. His ancient heart was beating painfully in his chest; for the first time in a long time he was actually scared.

Scared for his family.

Scared for Clara.

He inhaled deeply then exhaled when he saw Clara on the floor. Instantly, he fell down to her, hands brushing her cheeks. "Clara..." Her skin was far too cold for comfort, causing his heart to skip a beat. Klaus turned to Rebekah with questioning eyes.

"She's going to become a vampire." Rebekah said lowly. "It was the only way to save her."

He let out a breath and closed his eyes. No tear shall fall till the end, when my enemies are vanquished. Clara suddenly gasped, her body lurching forward, and clutched onto her cousin. Her dark eyes glazed over at the sight of him. "Niklaus!" She turned and saw Rebekah standing with a guilty expression. "Rebekah..."

"I'm so sorry, Clara. Please forgive me." Rebekah's eyes watered over, her lip trembled. "It was the only way to ensure your safety. Marcel didn't know you were a siphon and he doesn't know you're a heretic."

Clara nodded, though she still felt a small amount of anger towards her friend, and smiled halfheartedly. "I understand, Bex. You did what you had to." Even if she didn't want to be the vile creature she once was. This was her only chance at saving Lucien. As a heretic she could finally do the spell necessary to save he love. Maybe it was time to tell the truth.

"Clara I have to go." Klaus said, "I am to be put on trial for all my sins."

"Niklaus they'll kill you-"

"No, I must come out of this alive." He insisted, "I have to protect my family. I have to protect you." He sighed and turned to his sister.

She had on a troubled expression. "Are you ready?"

Klaus grasped her wrist and rubbed over the skull imprint on her skin. "Are you?"

"For Freya's plan to work, I can't go mad and you can't die." Rebekah said hopefully. "What are the bloody odds of that?"

"Wasn't it you who once said Niklaus could talk his way out of hell?" Clara questioned with a smile.

The siblings both smiled and hugged each other. Then they turned to Clara but it was Klaus who spoke. "You must feed soon. Rebekah, ask Marcel to provide a human sacrifice as apart of your deal."

"Wait! Niklaus, Rebekah. Since this could possibly be a suicide mission for all who are involved... there is something I must confess."

"What is it, love?"

"Hm?"

Clara inhaled sharply and closed her eyes. "Lucien is not dead I blackmailed Mary-Alice Claire into turning me into a siphon and sent Lucien to hide in the ancestral plain." The words came out so jumbled but she felt a weight lift off her shoulders. "I'm so sorry but I was so desperate to save the man I loved and before he died he promised he'd change."

Rebekah frowned and sighed. But it was Niklaus who looked conflicted in his emotions. He seemed to want to be angry but he couldn't. He ran a hand over his face and turned away. "I appreciate this confession but I do not have time for this. I love you all the same, Clara."

"That wasn't the smartest idea, love but I love you as well."

The siblings clasped hands and left Clara all alone to worry for her family. Shortly after, her phone rang. It was Elijah.

"Hello."

"Clara, petite ami. I thought it'd be best to say my goodbye now. The only way to save us all from the bite Marcel has caused... she has to link us all to Klaus and put us in a slumber." He began. "We'll be in a chambre de chasse. I'm sorry it has to be this way but Hayley will find you when this is all over." Elijah paused and sighed softly. "Can you do that?"