The Gala: Part 2 (Short)

Tristan de Martel watched the drunkin stable boy with his sire stumble into his party. He felt his face twitch in fury but kept his expression even and cool. His sister, Clara, watched her brother in fear. He understood the fear was for what he could easily do to Lucien. He knew she cared too much for the pathetic swine.

"What a beloved occasion!" Niklaus cheered, he hadn't seen Tristan yet.

Lucien laughed. "My God, it's a room full of Elijahs."

"I had that exact same nightmare once!" He said causing the whole drunken group to laugh hysterically.

Lucien turns to one of the women, who is dressed in a fuchsia corset and matching bobbed wig. "Go and grab us a drink, love! Feel free to fetch one for yourself." She nodded quietly and walked away.

"One for me, please! And one for her, and her, and her, and her..." Klaus slurred before raising his voice a few octaves, "Tristan? Tristan! Come out, come out, wherever you are! Unless, of course, you're afraid!"

Tristan, looking only mildly unhappy, turned to his sister. He already knew what she was going to say. "No promises, sister dearest." He said.

"Let me take care of this." She pushed past him and stepped in front of Niklaus.

"Leave, Niklaus. You are unwelcome here." Tristan watched his sister's eyes move to Lucien warily. "I'd ask that you and your Harem leave, as well."

"Oh. Oh, okay." Niklaus smiled brightly and nodded. "We're-we're not welcome here..." He plucked a champagne flute from the nearest serving platter before walking up to Clara. His words were almost too slurred, She thought silently.

A burst of fury flooded his senses as he watched his poor sister and her heartbroken eyes. He growled and walked forward pushing his sister behind Aya. "Her concern is for your companions. They appear out of sorts without a shiny pole to writhe upon." Tristan replied calmly, amused.

Lucien looked over at the woman dressed as a skeleton bride. "Ohhhhhh, he's suggesting that you're exotic dancers! Which, to him, is an insult--" He gestured towards the burlesque dancers who have stopped working. "--If not hypocritical. But, don't take it personally, love. He finds all work demeaning. The only dignified way to accumulate wealth is by birth." He smiled at Tristan and leaned forward, extending his index finger, tapping Tristan on the end of the nose. "Boop!"

"Take your toy and his dog away from here before I rip his heart out." Aya whispered behind her.

Clara sighed and looked into Aya's cat-like eyes. "You can't hurt Niklaus," she pointed out, "Or Lucien for that matter. The first sired are untouchable my dear Aya."

"I can at least cut Lucien's throat a thousand times," Aya replied lowly. Her eyes glared daggers into the two men.

"No, Aya." Clara warned.

"Don't worry. Tristan wouldn't like it if I made you even the slightest bit unhappy. As long as you wish it, I can't harm him." Aya turned back to face Klaus' first sired with fire in her dark eyes. "The minute you break it off with him..."

"Never." But Clara wasn't 100% sure where he stood in her life after this stunt and that's why bothered her the most. She loved Lucien with all of her heart and for him to bring such vile woman into a party like this; A party her brother organized... It was close to unforgivable but not quite.

After they left she said her goodbyes to her rother and Aya and apologized once more to Marcel before bidding them a goodnight and heading over to the Mikaelson Abbatoir. She stalled for a bit and walked through the beautiful city so when she arrived she found Alexis dead in Lucien arms and her crying.

"No." Elijah put his large on her should as she broke down in front of the group of strangers. "How did this happen?"

"It seems she may have been poisoned at your party." Elijah replied softly.

"No," Clara repeated again. "My brother would never do this. Why would someone target Alexis?"

"You haven't heard? She was your seer." Klaus sneered arrogantly. "She saw our end. The end of the originals. The end of the Mikaelsons'.

"How strange..." Clara suddenly glared at the two party crashers. "On another note. How dare you crash my brother's gala." She growled at Klaus then turned to Lucien and narrowed her eyes. "How dare you bring in your harem and flaunt them in front of me like that-- do not speak, Lucien. Take Alexis' body with you and leave. I do not want to speak with you."

Surprisingly, Lucien did as he was told and left without another word. She felt bad enough and did not need him to make it worse by saying something stupid. Elijah led her upstairs and let her use one of their many guest bedrooms.

As she sat in bed, Niklaus appeared at the entrance, his arms folded boredly. "For the record, love, Lucien and I interrupted your gala to save Alexis. A little appreciation would be nice."

Clara rolled her eyes but felt partially gracious that he would do that for Lucien and her. "Thank you, Klaus."

He smiled showing large dimples in his pale cheeks. "That's better."

"Niklaus, please let the poor girl sleep." Elijah sighed, still in an expensive suit, and stood shoulder-to-shoulder with his younger brother. "How are you, Clara?"

"I'm fine.. Kind of. Oh I don't know... " She replied, "Alexis is dead, Marcel was almost killed tonight, and I, apparently, got angry at Lucien for no reason. I should apologize to him."

Elijah grabbed her arm gently and pushed her back into bed. "Tomorrow. Sleep now."

After he left Klaus stood there for a minute longer. "You should really get a phone, love." He said. "It'll prove to be very useful." Then he left.

She changed into one of Freya's old night gowns and slept easily knowing Elijah was in the same home as her.

♔ ☾♔ ☾♔ ☾♔ ☾