The Beast

I wake to Lucien pouring a vile black liquid down my throat. My efforts to push him away are useless, and I end up choking it down. He smiles devilishly at me and strokes my hair.

"Just drink, Clara" Lucien urges me in, probably, the softest voice I've heard in since my brother died. I inhale through my nose, then let the rest of the liquid slide down my throat. I try to ignore the flavor but it's too strong; It tastes of blood and wolf venom which wasn't a pleasant mixture. "Good girl."

"What are you doing?" Freya asks, clearly on the verge of passing out.

"Nothing that concerns you, love. In fact, I'm actually going to make you forget about this. I think I've bled enough vervain out of your system." He leaves me and goes straight to Freya.

I push him away and position myself on my knees, with my hands planted on the the earth below me. My eyes narrow at Lucien, in a suspicious questioning way. "What have you done to me?"

"You'll thank me soon enough." He assured. His lip lifts into a crooked grin.

A moment passes, when he finally helps me get to my feet only to dig his hand in my chest and squeeze my heart. My breath catches in my throat as the pain hits me. This was low even for him. Even though I desperately search his face for some bits of present remorse-- for what I know he's about to do-- or regret, I find something.

"Lucien? Clara?"

"Oh... Just in time for the party, lads! Cheers!" He grabs his bottle liquid and downs it. "Let the fun begin! Can either of you get to me faster than I can tear your darling Clara's heart out?" Elijah and Finn share a worried look, which answers Lucien's question for him and causes him to chuckle smugly. "Didn't think so." He holds me close and whispers in my ear. "You're going to have to trust me, love."

I want to ask what he means, and maybe to take his hand out; it's quite painful. But he rips my heart out before I can react. I see Elijah's heartbroken expression before everything goes black.

♔ ☾♔ ☾♔ ☾♔ ☾

"Stop!" I cry out, waking up from a nightmare that proves to be true. I'm on the couch in Lucien's apartment. My chest aches with a pain no longer there. But the memory is fresh and my emotions are a mess. I want to rip Lucien to pieces and ask calmly how I'm still alive. With a painful grunt, I get to my feet and sway a bit. Then, I catch sight of someone I hoped I wouldn't have to see and smile tightly. "Aurora,"

"Sister." She acknowledges back.

I try to maintain my composure, when I look her in her emerald eyes. "Last I heard Klaus trapped you behind a brick wall. Forever."

"Lucien was kind enough to break the spell and get me out."

"Figures."

"Oh don't be jealous, Clara!" She wraps her slender hands around my arms and smiles. "I won't ever love him. He just doesn't have a place in my heart. Though, he doesn't need to know this. It's getting late, Lucien has invited me to dinner. He has a preposition."

Aurora had no reason to lie to me about something that specific. I actually believe her. But I don't trust her anymore. And I definitely don't trust Lucien. I fold my arms and turn away, "Perfect." It was then, that I notice the apparent lack of the psychotic manic. "Where is he anyways? The king should escort the princess to her diner." Bitterness snakes its way into my tone, even though I will it not to. Aurora gave me a look and kisses my head before heading out the door.

My sensitive ears-- that seem more sensitive than usual-- hear my sister leave the building. I decide to take that as my chance to escape. But when I reach the door I'm immediately stopped by an invisible force.