The News is Out

"Marinette died? But- how?  Who did this?" Chloe whispered, her heart becoming heavy. The blonde's eyes began to fill with tears.

"I know... I know I said I never liked her, but it didn't mean I wanted her to die," Chloe pulled her knees to her chest guiltily. Sabrina was glassy-eyed, but tried to reassure Chloe with a hand to her shoulder.

Everyone's eyes directed to the silent red-eyed boy. Normally he was nothing like this, but people knew that he was bothered by Marinette's death based on his emotional stability.

Adrien hadn't spoken a single word since he got to the school. He'd been emotionless and empty the entire day; cried out every tear he had. He sat in his assigned seat and put his head down on the desk.

When the classroom door had bursted open, Alya ran in to take her seat. She didn't seem to be aware of the news and there weren't any volunteers to be the news bearer.

"I am so sorry I'm late! I'm surprised Marinette isn't already here," she laughed, remembering the usual tardiness of her best friend.

Everyone glanced at each other worriedly, wondering who would tell her. Adrien stood up and walked out of the classroom, then began to go running off into the hall.

Nino tried to go after him, concerned for his wellbeing. Was he that close to Marinette to feel so broken after her death?

"Adrien! Bro, please talk to me!" Nino grabbed his shoulder. Adrien turned around quickly to Nino as angry tears welled in his eyes.

"Just... leave me alone!" Adrien snapped uncharacteristically, surprising Nino as he was pushed back. He stormed off somewhere else, and Nino decided he would give his best friend the space he needed.

"What's wrong with him?" Alya asked Kim with a raised eyebrow.

"Look Alya, this is about Marinette," Kim sat her beside him in his seat.

"What?" Alya tilted her head curiously, as Nino came back into the classroom.

Nino slid out of his seat and pulled Alya out of the room. Everyone nervously glanced, knowing what he was about to do. Even Miss Bustier didn't start her lesson yet, already knowing how her class cared so deeply about the sweet girl.

"Here, Alya. Let's go out to the hall on this bench here. I've got something to tell you," Nino took her by the hand and led her to a bench.

"What's wrong with Adrien and Chloe?" Alya asked Nino, as he led her by the room into the hallway. He took off his red cap and ran his hands through his hair with a sad sigh.

"You remember Volpina, right? She is our classmate, Lila, but akumatized," he gently explained.

"Oh yeah. I heard Ladybug doesn't exactly like her," she laughed, completely oblivious of the news he was going to break to her.

"She had attacked Marinette yesterday," he told her, his voice on the nearing edge of breaking.

"Wait, what?! Is she okay? Is she in the hospital right now or is she at home?! I need to see her!" Alya let out a loud gasp as her face contorted in worry.

"Alya, Volpina had attacked, and Marinette accidentally fell off the roof of her house. She didn't make it," Nino grasped her hands, clearing his throat.

He never had ever expected to announce Marinette's death to his girlfriend or even at all.

All the color drained from Alya's face as she tried to avoid the brick of reality that was swinging around her.

"She's not dead! She texted me yesterday about working on her designs and asking Adrien to the dance! Mar-Marinette is not dead! She... Marinette can't be!" Alya yelled out, her voice turning to whimpers as her bottom lip trembled and her eyes began to water.

"I can barely believe this myself, Al. I know, this is hard. I-I miss her too," Nino told Alya, as his voice cracked in emotion and he held back his tears for her. He kept telling himself, You can't let Alya see you upset. You're her rock. You have to stay strong for her. This is her best friend who is gone.

"No... No! No!! Stop it! Don't lie to me, Nino! You're a big fat liar!" Alya screamed at him, her heart breaking to pieces as she imagined her gentle best friend fighting a crazed monster as it terrorized her, cornering her to the point where she had fallen back accidentally. She couldn't be gone.

Alya began to run as the blood from her began to rush. She didn't believe it. Marinette couldn't be dead. She was only 16 years old! She's still coming to school today! She's probably just late!  There's no way your best friend is gone! Marinette...

Alya's mind threw lists of endless reasons on why Marinette wasn't at school. Endless reasons on why she couldn't be dead. Why Marinette had to be there for her.

She ran out on the street, searching for the kind-hearted blue-haired girl who's always by her side.

"Marinette! Marinette Dupain-Cheng! You better come here this instant! If you don't," she broke into sobs, "I'm going... Going to be... So..."

Alya couldn't finish her sentence. She was crying harder than she ever thought was possible. She slid against a wall and buried her face in her knees. She continued to sob for her best friend. Emptiness sat in her chest. It was a large pit of emptiness that could never be filled by anyone but her best friend.

If anyone saw her at this low, harsh breaking point, there was no way they could even tell her the rest of the truth. There's no way they could just keep stabbing holes in her with the reality of Ladybug's true identity.