Chapter 34 - A Reason For Everything

For the next few days, Carlen kept meeting up with Shayne. For some reason, the Prince was always conveniently "bumping" into them. They had become fast friends, and Carlen was grateful for his ever cheerful company. Even Flynn seemed to have warmed up to him and wasn't so guarded against him anymore. Everything that Lance had warned him about the Prince was quickly forgotten.

"If you could leave this place Carlen, and live completely normal, would you?" Prince Shayne asked as they glanced out the pavilion that they were resting under.

"Yes." Carlen didn't even hesitate, he didn't even think, he knew his answer. He would do it in a heartbeat. He hated it here. He hated everything that had happened here. If he could just leave it all behind.

"Me too. Well, if any time I manage to find a way out of this goddess awful place, I'll be sure to take you with me." Prince Shayne clapped his palm on Carlen's back.
"Really?" Carlen asked, stunned. While he had become pretty comfortable with Shayne, and found that he was actually pretty laid back and similar to Lance in some ways, he didn't think Shayne would think to include him in any of his plans.

"Of course, we are friends, right Carlen?" Shayne raised a brow.

"Fr-Friends?" Carlen looked away and his feet. The last person who wanted to be his friend was really not a friend right now. Lance was more of a lover than anything. Carlen blushed as his heart raced at the thought of Lance.

"Of course, and don't worry, I'll take the warrior along too, just for your sake." Prince Shayne chuckled when Carlen spun around to face him with a horrified expression.

"What-what?"

"Yeah, I am the only one allowed to act stupid around here Carlen. Just because you pretend nothing is happening, doesn't mean nothing is going on. I have eyes Carlen. We all do." Prince Shayne shot a look at Flynn who shrugged and nodded in agreement, "Honestly though. Balls of fucking steel that one has. Salute."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Carlen hurriedly replied, "We should be going back. The sun is really strong today."

Prince Shayne stretched as he raised his voice a little louder, "Warrior lusts after the King's mate. I'd say that makes his balls very very-"

"Shh!" Carlen lunged at Shayne to make him shut up.

Shayne's arms went around Carlen's waist, pulling him towards him, "Your actions, they can be pretty seductive sometimes. I think I see why the men are falling for you Carlen. First Alaric, then Lance, now-"

"Stop it!" Carlen pushed against Shayne's chest, trying to get away. Flynn was by his side in a second, his own arms around Carlen's chest, trying to pull him out of Shayne' grip.

"The guard, always to the rescue. You sure you are not interested in men Flynn? You sure show a lot of interest in this one." Prince Shayne grinned, his hands still loosely around Carlen's waist, his legs trapping Carlen's legs in, "Or is it that this one is special?"

Flynn gave Carlen's body a tug, stopping when he heard Carlen huffed from having the wind pushed out of him, "I'm sure I love women very much. Please release my sire. He is still recovering, you might hurt him."

The pair stared at each other, neither giving in.

"What's going on here?" A very loud voice boomed and Carlen shivered where he stood. The authority in Lance's voice made his skin feel very hot. He squeaked, pushing against Shayne's chest harder to get away. But the Prince made no move.

Prince Shayne held Carlen's waist firmly, ignoring Flynn's warning growl.

"Warrior! We were just talking about you!" Prince Shayne greeted as he leaned on Flynn's arm that was around Carlen's. Flynn seemed to battle with himself if he should hold on, but his inner disgust won and he hurriedly released his grip around Carlen, causing Shayne's head to fall on Carlen's chest with a thump. Flynn dusted his arm where the Prince had laid against. Another man leaning against his arm was fairly revolting.