Chapter 13 - I Choose You

Media: I Choose You - Sara Bareilles

        Winding down the corridors and passing the guards that were stationed around the castle was an incredibly nerve-wrecking experience for Carlen. Not only had he never had the pleasure to venture into the castle thus far, he kept expecting one of the castle guards to stop them and demand for them to explain their business in the inner castle area. Carlen counted the sixth guard that they passed who straightened up and nodded- their head at Lance. He hoped deeply that because Lance outranked all these castle guards that they would not dare question them or stop them.

        Turning around a bend, Carlen watched as Lance turned to look behind them before guiding him by the small of his back into one of the intricately designed closed doors. Not wanting to look too suspicious, Carlen hurried into the room, stopping only when he saw what was before him.

        The ceiling of the room was so high that he had to strain his neck to look at it. The carvings and tapestries that decorated the room were exquisite and so well-detailed that Carlen know in an instance that they were high quality and probably one of a kind. The room was spacious with a fireplace and some cushioned seats sitting on a fur rug that was certainly one of the biggest bear fur rugs he had ever seen.

        While Carlen himself never lived in a place that had a sitting room or a reception area, he knew that this was what it was. He had heard so many stories from the maids and manservants who worked in the inner castle to have a vague impression of how it should look like. There were no beds or trunks or even a writing table in this room, there were only two other doors that seemed to lead to other rooms.

        "Alaric is through that door." Lance said, jolting Carlen out of his stupor as he pointed to the door on the right, "I assume you don't want me to join you." A cheeky grin graced his face and Carlen felt comforted. For some reason, he had completely let his guard down around Lance.

        Returning Lance's grin with a big smile on his face despite his nervousness, Carlen whispered, "Thank you." He hesitated briefly before lunging at Lance and giving him a hug, his arms barely going more than halfway round the bigger man.  

        Lance stiffened up in his arms as though it was his first time being hugged and petted Carlen awkwardly on his back, "You're welcome my friend." He said, before winking at Carlen when they pulled apart. "Go on."

        Suddenly, Carlen felt like his nerves were hypersensitive. The anticipation of seeing his mate again has managed to drive his heart into beating mess and his breathing into an erratic mode in just one moment.  

        Nodding apprehensively, Carlen moved towards the door that Lance had indicated. Taking small timid steps, his hands moved towards his newly donned gold necklace that held his mate's insignia as though he had been used to the motion. With a deep breath, he pulled it out from under his tunic and reached out with his right hand to push the door open.  

        Alaric stood still where he was as he stopped pacing. He could feel anxiousness creep up on him as he heard the sound of Carlen approaching the room that he was in. He could hear his heart beating in his ears as he held his breath. He had never felt more edgy than this moment. Not even when he faced his first opponent at his very first warrior tournament, nor at the ceremony when his father had named him the official crown prince. This sensation that was buzzing through his entire body was enough to paralyze his mind for a moment.

        His mate was about to walk through those doors.

        When the door he was staring at began to jerk open and when Carlen's scent wafted into the room instantly, Alaric took a deep breath as the hairs on his entire body stand on end. "Carlen." He breathed out even before the younger man had entered the room. He would know this scent anywhere. It had been etched into his mind ever since he found out on that fateful full moon night. His mate's scent was far too unique and appealing to be mistaken for anyone else's.