Differences.

Y/n's POV
I was walking down the streets of New York with my cane in my right hand and my coffee in my left.

"Hey, Kid! Get back here!" Shouted the voice of an older man.

I was knocked into and my coffee spilt all over my suit. I looked down to see a boy who didn't look any older than 6 or 7 years old, trying to gather up all the stuff he had dropped.

He looked very familiar. He had brown hair and big green eyes, with a cute little nose. He looked to be Latino of some type. He stood up with the basket full of apples and looked up at me.

He didn't look like he had eaten much in a long while. He was skinny, very skinny. His clothes were dirty and very baggy on him. He looked like he hadn't gotten a lot of sleep since he was born.

"Hey!"

I looked up to see a police officer and the man who runs the market approaching us. The boy started to run off but the police officer grabbed him by his shirt and pulled him back.

"Gotcha now, rat," the police officer said.

"Hey, what's going on here?" I asked the police officer and the market guy.

"This kid here was trying to take off with cookies and cupcakes from Mr. Anderson's market. But I caught him," the police officer said.

The kid was squirming trying to get free of the officer's hold.

"I told you! It's for my mama, you jerk!" the little boy spoke as he tried to break free of the officer's hold on his shirt.

"How much was the stuff, sir?" I asked the owner of the market.

"He stole $200 worth of fruit," the market guy spoke.

"For a bunch of cookies and cupcakes?!" I shouted. That's outrageous. No wonder the kid stole them, I would have too,"Know what here," I pulled out my checkbook and wrote a check for $250 dollars,"Give me the shit and let the boy go."

I handed the check to the market guy and he took it, smiling greedily at it. The police officer didn't seem to like that idea but, he released the boy anyways.

The boy grabbed the basket of snacks and held it in his tiny arms.

"Now will that be all?" I asked the fruit market guy and the police officer, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah yeah, get on out of here. I better not catch you stealing again, boy," the officer glared at the little boy.

The little boy nodded his head and the officer turned around and walked off with the market guy.

The boy sighed and turned to look at me. He grinned up at me.

"Thanks, Mister!"

"No problem, kid. And you can call me Y/n. Why don't you go on and take those apples on to your mama," I said.

"My name is Mason," the boy said,"Um. Can I ask you a question, Y/n?"

"Sure, Mason."

"Can you uh...can you walk me home?"

I looked down at my watch and saw that I had an hour until my meeting, I looked up at the boy and nodded my head.

"Sure. I've got time,"I extended my arm,"Lead the way."

Mason grinned a smile so bright that it almost put the sun to shame and I knew that I wouldn't regret my answer. I allowed the boy the lead me down the street.

My cane clicked against the sidewalk as I limped after the boy. He was practically skipping while carrying that basket of snacks. The boy was strong. I wondered how old he really was.

"How old are you, Mason?"

"7 and a half," Mason said excitedly,"How old are you?"

"I am 31 years old," I said as I followed after the boy.

"My mama is 30! She just turned 30! She says she's old! But I always say she doesn't look a day over 25! My older brother says the same! But she always never listens," Mason said. I chuckle.

"And you 2 are very right. Your mama would do wise to listen to you. If 30 is old then my 40 year old sister would be dead by now," I winked at the younger boy. He giggled.

"This is it! This where we live! Come on!"

Mason started running. I followed after him and I looked up to see a very run down apartment building. A man who looked to be like a pedophile was sitting on the front steps.

I followed Mason up the steps where the man was sitting.

"Hey, Arnold!"

"Hello, Mason. Those snacks for your ma?" Arnold, the pedophile man, asked the younger boy.

"Yeah! Noah said to get them," Mason nodded his head,"It's her birthday today! We're gonna surprise her."

"Who's the sharply dressed man behind you?" Arnold looked me up and down and I held onto my cane tightly, ready to beat the man if he tried anything.

"This is Y/n, he helped me get the snacks! I brought him home to meet Noah and mama," Mason said,"Well, bye, Arnold! Come on, Y/n!"

I quickly followed the boy inside. He led me up a bunch of stairs and finally we came to a stop at Apartment 3C.

Mason opened the door with one hand and walked inside.

"I'm home!" Mason shouted. He motioned me inside.

"What took you so long, twerp? I was starting to get worried," said the voice of a young boy.

A boy around 14 or 15 years old, walked out and stood before us. He had black hair and brown eyes. His was tall and lean, like Mason. But instead of a bright smile on his face. He had a glare.

"Mason, who is this?" He asked his younger brother.

"This is Y/n! He's nice. He helped me with the police and the market guy," Mason said.

"Mama! Mason brought home a stranger!" the older boy shouted.

"Mason did what?!" said a familiar raspy voice. I froze. No...

"Mason Jauregui how many times do I have to tell you you can't just let strange people in our ho,-Y/n."

"Lauren..."

My eyes widened at the sight of the woman in front of me. The woman I haven't seen since I was 17 years old. She was now standing in front of me.

Looking as beautiful as ever, but sick at the same time. She was paler than usual and her hair wasn't as glossy. Her green eyes were dull and she was very very skinny.

She was different. This was different.

*********
I kind of want to make this a fanfic! This would be one of the chapters or something! So tell me what you think and I may turn this into a fanfic!