The Other Guy

Y/n's POV
There she stood. The girl of my dreams. She was standing in the front row of the audience with her friends, Dinah, Ally, and Normani, and her stupid boyfriend, Bradley Simpson.

She was everything I ever wanted and all I couldn't have. We had a thing during the year but she was technically cheating on Brad, who had been in New York City with his hand leaving Lauren here in Miami, big mistake by him.

But he came back less than two months ago and although Lauren and I kept up what we were doing, she always went right back home to Bradley. I was the other guy and although I knew it was wrong, I didn't want it to end. I wanted to believe that deep down inside she loved me as much as I loved her.

My best friends, Camila and Zayn, say I'm being crazy and I'm practically ruining myself and maybe they're right. But I can't just turn my back on her, I loved her. I wanted her and I knew somewhere deep down she wanted me.

I didn't want to be The Other Guy anymore.

"Hey, you ready?" Camila's voice brought me from my daze. I looked away from Lauren and at her as she fixed my hair and my shirt. I smiled sadly at my best friend and nodded my head slowly,"You okay?"

"I'm fine, Cami. Don't worry," I said as I nodded my head yet again. Camila smiled at me, standing on her tip toes to kiss my cheek as she ruffled my hair.

"Good luck out there, babe," Camila smiled playfully as she moved away from me, stepping aside.

I laughed a little as I made my way out onto the stage after our Principal announced my name. I went to the keyboard that was at the center of the stage and I sat down. I fixed the mic so that it was closer to my lips as I looked out at the crowd.

"Uh, hey," I spoke into the mic, wincing slightly at the screeching sound that came from it. There were a few light chuckles and I smiled nervously as I went back towards the mic,"I'm Y/n. And uh I'm gonna be singing a song I actually wrote. It's about being the other guy, while the person you're in love with is with someone else."

As I explained my song my eyes went towards Lauren, who was in turn watching me intently a small smile on her face. Her eyes were glistening, she obviously knew this song was dedicated to her. I took a deep breath before I looked away and down at the keys of the keyboard, pressing the correct ones to play the song.

I took a deep breath before I sang lowly into the mic, my words running smoothly and my eyes staring down at the keys of the piano as I sang.

Ohh
The selfish part of me needs for you to stay
'Cause girl you keep a smile stretched across my face
And I would give anything now
But you would lose everything now

I looked up to look out at the audience in general, when I was rehearsing Camila and Zayn told me to keep my eyes trained out there to make it seem as if I was engaging them in conversation instead of just blandly singing.

The way your lips move when you say my name
The smell of your hair on my pillow case
And I would give anything now
But you would lose everything now

I sang lowly, my voice going a little deeper as my fingers moved across the piano to press new keys, my eyes landed on Lauren yet again as I sang to her.

If I'd had it my way I'd never let you walk out the door
But my heart is heavy with something that I just can't ignore

I looked away from Lauren and just straight ahead as I sang out the chorus of the song powerfully, my voice hitting some high falsetto notes.