Chapter Nineteen - Our Scars Remind Us That The Past Is Real

(Patrick's Point Of View)

"Elisa?" I say and I don't think she heard me, I didn't even hear me. Besides, I thought I killed her, which I feel guilty about. Shouldn't she be well, not here?

"Patrick? Nice to meet you Patrick. I'm Elisa. You know, my ex husband was named Patrick."

"What a coincidence." Pete mutters.

"Really? That's uh, really ironic I guess." I chuckle and stare out the window again, "May I ask what happened between you to?"

"Yes you may. There is really nothing to say. Patrick just wanted a divorce without saying why. I was crushed, heartbroken. I still wonder what I did wrong." I see her take a glance at me from the corner of my eye.

"Well, I-I'm sorry to hear that," I look at her, "Honey."

"Don't be sorry Pa-" she looks at me, her eyes widen and stutters on my name, "Patrick? What the hell!" I was expecting to get punched from her so, I blocked myself with my arms flinching away, but she didn't do that. Weird. She laughs, "What's wrong?"

"I swear you were going to hit me." I cautiously put my hands down.

"Why would I do that?"

"Oh, don't act like you don't know. Remember? You would hit for everything."

"I never did!" She pleads.

"Yeah, never did. That's why you raped him. You sick cunt. That is why he wanted divorce. Don't act retarded." Pete yells.

"I swear!" She exclaims with a tear going down her cheek, "Patrick, that wasn't me!"

"Then who the fuck was it then? It sure as hell wasn't the Tooth Fairy!" I exclaim. Wow, that sounded way better in my head.

"Remember once upon a time I went out with my friends that one night and was gone longer than I should have been?"

"Yeah, but what does that have to do with it?"

"That is when they kidnapped me."

"Bullshit!" Pete laughs.

"I'm being serious! Those girls that kept you hostage wanted Patrick from the get-go. Well, the psychopath one. The nurse. She is something else. She used this device thing that changed her into me. They let me go once you wanted a divorce and after she, you know what she did to you.

"How come I find you lying?" I ask glaring at her slightly.

"Let me just say, did I change after that night?"

"Yes, you started acting weird and that's when the abuse came. You also wouldn't even let me talk with the guys for more than a millisecond. As before, you didn't care. So, I killed the nurse, not you?"

"There you go! Patrick, I would have never done those things to you. I still and always will love you. Wait, you killed me?" Elisa laughs.

"Same, but I love Pete and I will never abandon him, ever. I'm sorry Elisa." I flinch away.

"Quite doing that! Besides, I knew about you two and the story that is all over the news, you know. I'm happy for you two." She says smiling.

"You should meet our daughter. She'll love you."

"How did you...considering...huh?" She gives me this confused look.

"We adopted a fifteen year old, now turning sixteen tomorrow." I sigh sadly.

"Aw! What's her name?" Elisa asks.

"Mona, Mona Lisa." I answer smiling with tears going down my face, "I miss her."

"It will be okay Ho-" she cuts herself off, "Patrick. Nice outfit by the way." She laughs putting her hand on my thigh and rubs it, I still remember the way, the rhythm she did before you know who showed up. Now just by that, I can tell she's my Elisa that I love, but can't have. She pulls her hand away and back on the steering wheel.

Pete sits up from his seat and leans his body in he front, "Hold up! You actually believe this lunatic? With her..." Pete trails off, "Never mind. Oh and Elisa, I only say he has nice outfits" He sits back teasing.

"Oh be quiet." She teases back.

"What Pete?" I look back at him smiling. He has a pretend expression of hurt.

"Nothing. Just, um, I don't know...just I can tell..." He trails off, "Just that I realized shes telling he truth. I mean, how would she make that story up?"

"Confused still?" I laugh.

"Holy smokes yes!" He exclaims, "Yup, I've hung out with you to much." Pete smiles and winks.

I stick my tongue out at him then, turns my attention back ahead of me. To be honest, I'm still confused myself on the latter.

"I'm sorry Patrick." Elisa says.

"For what?"

"Everything." She holds back a sob.

I am still not convinced with her story, but it will have to do for now. We just need to get home.